Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feed my budgies chop every day. I put whatever veggies I have in the fridge to the chop (broccoli, spinach, watercress, bok choy, Napa cabbage, carrots and some herbs). They also like some veggies and herbs like water spinach, oregano, parsley, beefsteak plant (a type of mint) and one of them likes dill.

I want to feed them fresh broccoli other than mixing it in the chop so I let mine try it out. They bite off leaves and drop them to the ground. I dip the broccoli into water to see if they're more interested. They drink water drops but never once eat the broccoli.

Many budgies aren't really big on veggies but seem to like broccoli as its leaves resemble seeds. I kinda expect that from my budgies but they turn out to be the opposite 馃槄 Is there any trick to get them to eat broccoli? Thank you!!

(here are photos of my budgie for more attention)

Attachments

Registered
I just put a big head of broccoli in the cage and they just devour it. I don鈥檛 chop it up. I think they like the texture. Took a few days for them to realize it was food but once they did鈥ell鈥hey can鈥檛 get enough of it.

so far I鈥檝e gotten them to eat that, parsley, bok choy, kale, and nip at romaine lettuce. Working on beets at the moment.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just put a big head of broccoli in the cage and they just devour it. I don鈥檛 chop it up. I think they like the texture. Took a few days for them to realize it was food but once they did鈥ell鈥hey can鈥檛 get enough of it.

so far I鈥檝e gotten them to eat that, parsley, bok choy, kale, and nip at romaine lettuce. Working on beets at the moment.
Thank you! That's a great tip!

Try hanging it from the cage or putting it on a kabob for them.
Hopefully they'll notice it's food 馃槄

Registered
I did this as well, although I did not put the whole head in, just one of those clusters (don't know the proper English word). It worked! I saw them eat it 馃コ

Registered
鈥淔lorets鈥 for broccoli and cauliflower pieces. 馃ぃ馃ウ
Oh my :ROFLMAO: In Dutch a floret is a weapon which is used for fencing (the sword play type).

Edit: Which actually fits very well now that I think of it. This is what the bottom of the cage looks like after they ate their broccoli this morning. It actually does look like swordplay has been happening. They used their florets (beaks) to fight the broccoli floret :ROFLMAO:
Plant Groundcover Shrub Grass Concrete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts