Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member of the Month August 2013
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had YellowBird for slightly over a week. She comes from an outdoor aviary and is a gorgeous 4 month old creamino.

For the first 5 days I just let her settle into her new home. Which she did very quickly, after only a couple of days she wasn't worried about me changing her water or food. By day 5 she was even letting me give little scritches through the cage.

With such great progress I started feeding little tidbits which she accepted with no problem. Then today she jumped onto my arm to get to the millet. I was rather surprised since we hadn't even done a finger step up, which is what I was attempting.

Obviously I am very happy with her progress. I also found the clicker today so clicker training starts tomorrow :D

·
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wiki, I may need to take you up on that. The selection here is rather slim.

No clicker training, but YellowBird had her first out-of-cage time yesterday. It went really well. She was a lot better than GreenBird or BlueBird when they were first allowed out. She had a nice fly around, settling on various perches around the room. She was happy enough to step onto my finger with some millet enticement and when ready be taken back to her cage. A successful first day out :D

·
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YellowBird is doing very well. Has a very reliable stepup with millet and a semi-reliable one without. She will fly short distances to my finger for millet, so I am hoping to build on that. I think she is going to be a bit more adventurous than GreenBird, so here is hoping she will be a good influence.

·
Wing Commander
1,779 Posts
Good work! The non-millet step up will get more reliable as you back it up with other fun things to do. Making sure that step up more frequently leads to fun (praise, rewards, interaction, leaving the cage, meal time, flight time) than less fun (going back to the cage when they don't want to) is the key. They'll learn that step up leads to better things and be more willing to do it for you.

·
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At the moment YelowBird is still a bit dubious about being out of her cage. So step ups rarely result in being taken back to their cage. It is more often just a game or bringing her back to familiar territory when she has decided to land to some obscure place.

·
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YellowBird has now well and truely settled into the big cage with GreenBird. They are very cute together, occasional squabbles but rarely far from one another. She has become a little bit skittish but with patience I am sure she will be fine.

·
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YellowBird is once again doing well. It seems she was being sulky in sympathy with GreenBird who had been moulting. She is now happily zooming around the living area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.