Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
I have a budgie couple. The problem is about the 6+ years old female.

BEGINNING OF THE STORY: My female budgie had her poops sticking to the butt 3-4 months ago. Then came out it was bcuz of the bump growing in her butt, which looks like an egg stuck. I took her to the vet and they said no there's no eggs with shells but could be eggs without shell so another vet tried to push things outside but nothing came out. Next week I took her to the vet again and they said it can be a hernia and gave me some medicine in the syringe and didn't recommend surgery. A month later nothing changed so I realized that the bump changed to a greasy look so I put them on a diet thinking it's all bcuz of being fat. Ended up making her super weak.

LATEST PROBLEM: I immediately took her to another vet for an ultrasound and came out she has a mass in her liver which is possibly a tumor. The vet gave me 2.5 baytril to use 1ml in water every day and a liquid with a pungent smell to give one drop every day. Now I'm also giving them lots of fruits, egg, and everything. The treatment doesn't seem to help. Do you have any recommendations? I saw some herb names on this website but I can't find many of them in my country.

·
Super Moderator
3,143 Posts
So sorry to hear this diagnosis, is it an avian vet you are seeing?
Unfortunately liver issues in budgies are fairly common. What is the smelly liquid you were given? Milk thistle is common to be used with liver problems, it is supportive for the liver. I have had a few birds with various liver issues and a variety of meds were used, all given directly in the mouth and not in the water. When something is in the water it is difficult to determine if the bird is ingesting enough to be effective. Baytril is one of the meds I have used as well as Ursodiol, Metacam and milk thistle. These meds are in support of liver function and unfortunately will not eradicate the tumor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.