Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Our little Roscoe is a complex puzzle - he has gotten really chill around us in the last few months and loves going on adventures around the house. Here is where I"m confused... when I approach him on his cage or his outside perch - he runs over to me, puffs up and basically leans in like he wants me to groom him (he will rub heads with my forehead and sometimes he will make a kiss sound while doing so), but if I bring up my hand to give him actual scratches he makes the warning sound before a bite (you know the classic I don't like this budgie sound). He will step on hands from time to time and will eat from my hand (as long as its seeds.. another issue for another day).. but mostly he steps up on a stick. I feel so bad (especially since he is going through a heavy molt). Its almost like he is looking for preening, but I'm only allowed to touch him with my head. Anyone else's bird do this? Any thoughts? Maybe this isn't even what he is doing? Also, unrelated - I'm curious why he barely ever flies. When we first got him he would fly all the time .. now he might make a lap 1x a day and that is it .... he never flies off of us or even really to the high books anymore - possibly because of the molt? All insight and thoughts are welcome - just trying to figure this little guy out.

·
Administrator
59,173 Posts
Everything you've described is completely normal budgie behavior and nothing to be concerned about.

My budgies do not want to be held or touched unless they initiate the encounter.
They prefer to sit on my head, shoulder or leg and not be bothered while they are doing so.
They will let me rub their head with my face, but not my finger or hand.

When budgies molt, they are more uncomfortable, less active and often a little "grumpy" at times.

Budgies become comfortable with a routine. My budgies generally do a lap or two around the room first thing in the morning and then they are content to play on top of their cage (or IN the cage) for the remainder of the day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bird Green Beak Bird supply Pet supply

Thank you for your responses. I just didn't know if there is something else I should be doing and/or if I'm letting him down somehow. He looks at me like he expects more .. but with my head, not hands. haha. He also is going from sweet to a buster - which I'm chalking up to his heavy molt?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's quite a handsome fellow!

I would recommend you remove the wooden dowel perches in the cage and replace them with natural wooden perches of varying diameters to help prevent pressure sores.
Pressure Sores

Bumblefoot
The information in this link will give examples of better options for perches:
Essentials for a Great Cage
Thank you for the suggestions - I'll check it out. He only has one dowel perch and the rest are rope and/or wood in different sizes (you can see 3 different wood sizes above him in the 2 pictures). He also spends a lot of time out of his cage on random ropes around his room everyday and/or running around my desk on a flat service. But I'll check out the options and appreciate the information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.