Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 6 of them in a large cage. Planning to build a massive enclosure indoors to enjoy them in our living room safe from the dogs. Two are the Ino (one white and one yellow) with red eyes, two are basic or normal (blue and black white stripes / green and yellow black stripes) and two I’m not totally sure (grey and yellow stripes / white blue and grey).
I think I have 3 males, maybe but can anyone help me confirm? I don’t want baby budgies but clearly didn’t realize I couldn’t prevent it. They are in a large cage but I do have another big cage I can separate them into.
Bird Vertebrate White Light Green

Bird Beak Feather Wood Wing

Bird Photograph Vertebrate Light Beak

Bird Beak Parrot Picture frame Comfort

Bird Beak Pet supply Parrot Line

Bird Vertebrate Beak Parrot Pet supply

Bird Eye Vertebrate White Pet supply

Bird Photograph Green Blue Yellow

Bird Vertebrate Light Parrot Beak

·
Administrator
59,441 Posts
The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being
Locating an Avian Veterinarian

Cats and Dogs are Predators - Birds are Prey

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Additionally, please be sure to read the thread "Posting on the Forums" which is linked below.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

The best thing for you to do to prevent breeding would be to house the females completely separately from the males.

If that is not an option, then you will need to ensure you do everything necessary to discourage breeding.
Domestic budgies are much healthier and happier when they are never bred.

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

Please be sure you never put a nest box or anything that could be used as a nesting site in their cage (s).
When they come into condition, you need to limit the light they get to 8 hours a day and limit the amount of protein in their diet.

The pictures you posted are somewhat confusing as the same birds are pictured in various of the photos but I think I've figured out which is which now.

The very vivid green budgie with the yellow head is female.
The very young blue budgie with the white head in the first picture is female.

For the pied white budgie (white with black) I'm leaning toward female.
However, another full-frontal picture taken in natural light with no flash and no direct sunlight would be helpful.
It's a bit hard to tell with the various pictures of that particular budgie .
I may need to have @StarlingWings make the final determination on that one's gender.

The extremely light green budgie with the dark blue cere is male.
The all white budgie is male.
The lutino or dark eyed clear (yellow) budgie is male.

How large is the cage in which you currently have the 6 budgies?
Please provide Length, Width and Height of the cage.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

Nice to have you with us. If you have questions after reading through everything, please let us know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you! I can separate males and females but I think they are still very young for breeding. Nor do I plan to let them if I can help it. Hard to choose males and females when the pet shops didn’t clearly know and everything I’ve read is blue or tan, white circles .
The cage is 54” high 25” length and 21” width.
I’m trying to build a floor to almost ceiling enclosure in my great room.
Bird Beak Parrot Pet supply Gesture

Bird Parrot Cockatoo Gesture Finger

Watch Bird Hand Beak Parrot

·
Super Moderator
5,594 Posts
It seems to be 3 and 3, I think you are headed for trouble if you house them together, especially when they begin to get hormonal. Even if there is no mating going on there may be territorial aggression, and egg laying happening due to hormonal stimulation. Your current cage is not large enough for 6 birds. If you had 2 like in this link you could separate by gender, you may be able to find a better price if you search around Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Bird Cage | bird Cages | PetSmart

1 - 4 of 4 Posts