Talk Budgies Forums banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
A quick update on Pepe, she loves the fact that the cage is open, and I can see her being so happy and active. She's starting to climb up my arm, today she made it to the elbow while I was placing her food. Absolutely no inhibition, she'll be on my hand while I'm wiping her perches or screwing her outside perch on. I love her personality - slightly bossy, over-excitable, a little clumsy and very very playful.

I bought more stands to place around the room, and hopefully that will encourage her to explore more as well!

Obligatory budgie with elevators:

(And the budgie strut is just so amusing)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
So Pepe is totally at ease with us, and I talk to her a lot when she's on my hand...

AND TODAY SHE TOTALLY REACHED IN TO PECK MY NOSE while I was talking to her.

I've just got to squee a bit.

Obligatory random video of Pepe bobbing her head... which is something she does very frequently ever since the cage is open:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I play with her a lot on weekends, so these two days I've been encouraging her to expand her flying radius in the room. The first step was to get her to try to come to the shelf near her. Today, she finally made it there! And after that boost of confidence she started taking bigger flight radius as well!

Obligatory video:

We've managed a game that I'm more than a meter away from the cage and she'll fly to my hand and back to the top of the cage - every time. She also started getting really curious about my hair and my eyebrows, so I let her preen me while she's on a perch.

I'm really seeing her use more of her wings now and she no longer gets into panic mode when she does a misstep outside of the cage. She just did a flying loop in the room as well, so I guess it's about time for us to budgie proof the room too!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Pepe has claimed my forehead and eyebrows and will preen them as long as they are nearby. She lets me rub my nose on her tummy as well.

She has also started getting curious about all the tissue papers I've been using to clean up after her, and started following them around as I wipe up after her. I've started hiding bulbs of millet in her rattan balls and she is having a whole lot of fun digging them out. The shelf that she is now familiar with is right next to our work laptops, so she gets curious about what's on our screens as well, but still too afraid to walk beyond the shelf.

The game of "fly to me" has progressed that she will play that with my husband as well.

Obligatory "fly to me":

It feels like I've managed to train her a bit without actually doing anything deliberately.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I finally found a natural wood perch long enough for the width of the cage, and now all the perches in the cage are made of natural wood. This is actually the most important perch because the height is her favorite height, but it's hard to find a 45cm perch. My next project is to slowly find the right length of wood to the perch on the food bowl.

Obligatory budgie during afternoon rest with her new perch:

She has been having fun stripping the wood, and her grip is better on this as well. At the same time, Pepe's been having more confident flights, she now hovers outside of the cage, flies directly in and out of the cage as opposed to hopping out to the branch. I have a lot of fun time when putting up her open cage set up, and then at night taking them down (she's determined to know what I'm holding).

She's also really interested in my face now, now I understand how it feels to have a face full of feathers and claws when she decides to climb on.

I bought apple cider vinegar with the mother after reading up in the forums. That is coming tomorrow, and I guess 1/4 teaspoon per 1/2 cup of water? How long do I set the water out, how often do I feed her with this?

Also, how do I determine if the budgie is molting? I'm seeing quite a fair bit of feathers everyday but she still looks as fluffy as ever.

Super Moderator
You can try the apple cider vinegar 2-3 times a week, watch her and see if she drinks it, she may not like the taste of it and you don't want to deprive her of water if she will not drink it. When a budgie molts some molts are more severe than others but you should not notice any bald areas on her body, although sometimes during a severe molt many of the feathers above the cere will be lost at once and you might see a slight bald spot before the pinfeathers start appearing. The feathers you are seeing lost indicates she is molting, sometimes it is mostly the smaller downy feathers, other times larger feathers. During a molt the bird may feel a bit grumpy and not be as active as usual, this is normal and will pass as the molt diminishes, it is also a time when the immune system is most vulnerable. It takes a lot of energy and nourishment to grow the new feathers and bit if extra protein will help, you can offer her small pieces of a hard boiled egg or you can purchase some commercially made egg food for birds like the one in this link Protein Egg Food 鈥 Higgins Premium Pet Foods

Registered
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
You can try the apple cider vinegar 2-3 times a week, watch her and see if she drinks it, she may not like the taste of it and you don't want to deprive her of water if she will not drink it. When a budgie molts some molts are more severe than others but you should not notice any bald areas on her body, although sometimes during a severe molt many of the feathers above the cere will be lost at once and you might see a slight bald spot before the pinfeathers start appearing. The feathers you are seeing lost indicates she is molting, sometimes it is mostly the smaller downy feathers, other times larger feathers. During a molt the bird may feel a bit grumpy and not be as active as usual, this is normal and will pass as the molt diminishes, it is also a time when the immune system is most vulnerable. It takes a lot of energy and nourishment to grow the new feathers and bit if extra protein will help, you can offer her small pieces of a hard boiled egg or you can purchase some commercially made egg food for birds like the one in this link Protein Egg Food 鈥 Higgins Premium Pet Foods
I was already concerned that she was dropping a lot of feathers, so I did some hard boiled egg (minced to small bits) for her over the weekend, which she really really loves. She is a bit more tired recently as well, which is why I'm thinking that she's molting but I'm just not sure, since it's really mostly the small feathers. How often should I offer her eggs if she's molting?

Administrator
Budgies generally have a first light molt at around 3 - 4 months old and another at 6 -7 months old.
When a budgie reaches at 1 year old their molts adjust to the Seasons., After the adjustment the budgie will have its big molts in the Spring and Fall. Budgies may also have lighter molts throughout the year; triggered by stress, change in diet or change in environment.

You can supplement your budgie鈥檚 diet with egg food during a molt.
This helps your budgies replenish the energy lost during the time they lose and grow in the new feathers.
Additionally, egg food promotes good and healthy feather growth.

It is possible to buy ready-made egg food at any specialized pet store but just as easy to make your own by hard boiling an egg, mashing it up and mixing it with a bit of cooked quinoa and flax seed. You can also finely chop some veggies and add it to the egg food mix.

Budgies get itchy during their molt, so they'll preen and scratch more often. Additionally, they may be sleepier and quieter as molting takes a lot of energy, and their poop could be a little runnier. To make them more comfortable, you can offer them baths either in a shallow dish of water at the bottom of their cage or by hanging wet greens (romaine lettuce or kale works best) in their cage so they can nibble on it and rub against them.

Molting FAQs
Miserable Molting

I suggest offering her egg three times a week if she's molting. Once a week only when she is not molting.

Registered
Just found your post today and thoroughly enjoyed reading about your progress over time. She was meant to be your bird and you've done a marvelous job bonding with her. What a little sweetheart! Hope you have many happy years together.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
So I've confirmed that Pepe is indeed molting, since her tail is now as short as a lovebird's.

Little things are progressing with her - like she's started to explore my clothes, she lets me rub the top of her head, she has started walking closer to where we are seated etc. The molting has made her a little more bitey than usual, so we put her down every time she bites to discourage her from doing that - so this is in progress.

She didn't reject water with ACV and drank as per usual. I told my husband that besides the fact that Pepe is rather flighty still, she is a rather easygoing budgie when it comes to food, which makes it all the easier to feed her. I might have spoiled her a little because she prefers to eat from my hand, sometimes waiting by the food area for me with the food bowl and she'll simply hop onto my hand to eat, before I place the food bowl down.

She prefers to bath in a shallow pool of water with a whole kale leaf in it, and seriously, bathing budgies are the cutest thing ever. She also likes the spray bottle and recognizes the bottle in my hand.

Last night, she flew onto my chest on purpose as I was getting her ready for bed and climbed up to her toy that I was taking down.

Obligatory egg meal:

So on the weekend, we have a family event and we have to head out for the whole day - what do I do to keep her occupied while we're away?

Super Moderator
I would let her out for a bit before you leave and return her to her cage just before you leave, it looks like she has plenty of toys in her cage to keep her busy for the day, she should be fine.

Administrator
Pepe is just as cute as button and is doing great!
I agree with Cody about letting her out for a little while and then returning her to her cage before you leave.
You can play music or the TV for her while you are out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Being out the whole day turns out to be quite alright, except that Pepe was a little quieter than usual the next day. Either being uncovered made it hard for her to sleep (hence tired) or she didn't like being alone. But after that, we went back to our normal daily routine so she went back to her happy silly self. We (as in my husband and I) thought about having a companion for her, so we'll be thinking about re-configuring our study to accommodate a different cage, and we're thinking of a cage with a divider, since it allows us to separate them if they get into disagreements but otherwise it'll be a big flight cage.

If it works out, we'll be doing Pepe > New Cage (divider in), New bird > Old Cage (quarantine) > New Cage (the other side) > Remove the divider.

I was surfing around the site and noticed something about mineral perches, which was something I really want to get because she goes through her cuttlebone so fast, I can't keep up. So giving her something big, fixed and edible seems to be a good idea. After being afraid for half a day or so, she realized that it's edible and now she loves it.

She has since flown to my shoulder a few times - it seems possible to encourage her to come to my shoulder because she seems my open palm as a perch, and preened my hair and my face. I can also encourage her to go to some places by tapping on them, which is how we got her to come to our desks.

Obligatory desk budgie:

Administrator
LOVE the desk budgie picture.
The mineral perches are great. I have a couple of different kinds.
One looks like a large shell and the other more like a "regular" perch

Bird Green Pet supply Organism Beak

Rectangle Ingredient Food Cuisine Fast food

41 - 60 of 64 Posts