Talk Budgies Forums banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
She's so sweet. Keep in mind that if you decide to get another bird you may lose some of the closeness you currently have with Pepe and if you were to get a male you would then have to take precautions to prevent them from breeding.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
These few days Pepe has been getting bolder and more comfortable with being outside of the cage, like falling asleep outside, preening on my hands. I've made a salad for her, which she ate a bit. Now that molting is over, she's very active everyday. I also bought her a new swing that hangs outside and she absolutely loves it, I think because this swing is not blocked by the cage or anything else, so it swings as much as she wants it to.

She is also now a shoulder budgie, she first flew here by chance and now she likes to come onto it to inspect my hair and ears. As well as a head budgie, and watching our monitors from it. I guess if she like us enough she will want to be near us.

Obligatory shoulder budgie:
Bird Mammal Parrot Beak Eyelash

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I haven't been updating recently because work got really hectic and some things happened in the family as well. But now I have some time to update what's been happening.

Pepe has completed her first molting! So by all estimates she is only around 7-8 months old? The week after though, she became really irritable and bitey, and suddenly stopped wanting to interact with us, so either we've done something wrong, or because I didn't manage to spend enough time with her during this period of busy. She still eats and drinks as per normal, plays with her toys and flies around but she doesn't want to come to our hands.

I've also discovered that she loves herbs, and instead of playing with them (like shredding vegetables as she likes to do) she actually diligently eats them. So herbs wise, I've given her sweet basil and cilantro. When she eats them the room actually smells nice as well, so I kind it like it too!

I was whistling randomly one day and Pepe actually got really interested. I'm quite good at whistling, so I tried to do the budgie chirrup - looks like it works because suddenly she stopped being irritable and became really interested in talking to me. After a day of so of conversing with her in whistles, she's back to her playful, curious self. She perches on our heads and shoulders without coaxing, and I also get to give her a good preen on her head and cheeks, which was something she didn't let me do since I got busy.

I guess whistling works?

Obligatory head budgie (on my husband while he was having a meeting):
Bird Water Hood Beak Sky

61 - 64 of 64 Posts