Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would/ could one breed to obtain a turquoise budgie?

And if one had two turquoise budgies, would they breed true? (would all their babies be 100% turquoise)

From what I have read *I think* the turquoise is caused by skyblue, df yellowface 2 mutation. Am I right? But what would one need to have to get that combo?

Thanks!!!

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
Hi there :)

I'm no expert, but I think what you've been told
about the turquoise budgies matches what I've
heard. You need a sky blue budgie with the YFII
added to the mix. Another sky blue would keep
the blue at the same intensity, versus the dark
factor in the cobalt blue. With a little luck,
the yellow will alter the blue to that lovely
turquoise/teal color :)

Somebody, please jump in and correct me if I'm
wrong?

Reactions: RidgeviewChick

·
Member of the Month August 2013
5,121 Posts
I am a little confused by what you are calling a turquoise budgie, as I haven't heard the term before but .... Here is my Sky Blue YFII Single Factor and yes it is the same bird :0 My understanding is that a sky blue YFII Double factor will continue to have the sky blue body with the yellow spreading predominately on the wings.

Ocean - 4 months

Ocean - Now

As you can see because he is a YFII the bleeding of the yellow effects the sky blue turning it various shades of green. Which can change after each molt, hence on TB we sometimes refer to them as our chameleon birds.

From my understanding of genetics, YFII is a dominant gene. Here is Lindsay's Breeding Expectations Guide for YFII.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! that is so fascinating Milipidi! I had no idea they could change their colouring so dramatically with each moult. :eek: It does not look like the same bird at all.... are you sure he wasn't switched on you?? lol

Thanks so much for sharing that. It is really good information to know.

·
Member of the Month July 2013
4,157 Posts
Oh wow Li ... you have a chameleon birdy as well! :D

·
Member of the Month August 2013
5,121 Posts
Wow! that is so fascinating Milipidi! I had no idea they could change their colouring so dramatically with each moult. :eek: It does not look like the same bird at all.... are you sure he wasn't switched on you?? lol

Thanks so much for sharing that. It is really good information to know.
The colour change is pretty amazing. I must admit at a glance it is hard to tell between him and GreenBird, my normal green. It does making jolting time more interesting though as we find out what colour he will be this time.

Oh wow Li ... you have a chameleon birdy as well! :D
Yep, I love my yellow faces :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you breed two turquoise budgies ( sf yellow face II )you will get about 50% sf yellow face II. The others will be normal and df yellow face II. Df yellow face II looks similar to sf yellow face I. I have 2 of these df yellow face II which are brother and sister which confused me because the parents are both sf yellow face II and I thought they would look like the parents.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
581 Posts
By "turqoise budgies", do you mean blue yellow factor II? The yellow can mingle with the blue, turning it a turquoise colour, so I'm guessing that's what you mean. If you bred two of them, I'm sure you'd get plenty more of them! But I doubt it would be 100% turquoise budgies, there'd be a few "normal" mutations in there too... Hope this helps :) ~Amber

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Buddyboy and Amber - that was exactly the information I was looking for; the percentages and probabilities of getting more sf yellowface II babies from 2 parents with sf yellowfaceII

Thanks for your help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.