Talk Budgies Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Adopted 2 budgies on March 31st. Oska is 6 and a half, Tinkerbell is 2 and a half.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I recently adopted 2 gorgeous budgies from a lady that told me her children were no longer interested in looking after them. She provided me with their cage, which was a decent size, but made so crowded by a nesting box and a rather large bird feeder. The cage was long rather than tall and in my opinion offered almost no possibility of flying. The male was named Lemony and is approximately 6 and a half years old. He has been renamed Oska. The girl was named Grapefruit and is approximately 2 and a half years old. I renamed her Tinkerbell. Both are yellow with no other colouring. Tinkerbell's eyes are different to other budgies I know. They don't seem to have a pupil and are dark red in colour. Because she is younger, she has now been able to learn to fly again. Oska being older has not made any progress. :cry: They are now in my aviary which is about 170cm tall, 3 metres long and almost 2 metres wide. Their cage is still in there with the door open and they use it to sleep at night.
I would love to hear from anyone who has had an older budgie that had forgotten how to fly and what was the solution to rectify this.
Many thanks in advance. I'm loving being a bird Mom again :love: (previously a Lorikeet mombird)

·
Administrator
55,301 Posts
Please remove the nest box from the cage if you have not yet done so. The budgies don't need it and should never have been provided with one by the previous owner.

Tinkerbell is a Lutino budgie from your description since she has red eyes. Oska is a Dark Eyed Clear.

Given that Oska is 6 years old and has been confined to a small cage for that length of time, he may not be able to fly -- it is going to depend on whether he can regain the muscle in his wings that has atrophied over time. Even if he is unable to fly, he can have a good life. I have two older budgies that have lost their ability to fly as they've aged. They are able to get around just fine by hopping and climbing the cage bars. I also have a series of ladders for them to use to get to areas they were unable to access.

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, all of the How To Guides, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Resource Directory
If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

·
Registered
Adopted 2 budgies on March 31st. Oska is 6 and a half, Tinkerbell is 2 and a half.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi FaeryBee,
Thank you for your advice. I was given the nesting box and feeder separately from the cage and there was no way that I would put these items back in the cage.
The lady also told me that Tinkerbell was laying an egg almost daily o_O
I took this as a very bad sign! She also had plucked so many of her feathers that she was bald under her belly, at the base of her tail and a few more feathers missing from her neck.
They also both had bird lice :cry:
My previous experience with birds was with a rescue lorikeet. At the time I had no intention of keeping him and only wanted to nurse him until he was strong enough to fly.
Unfortunately we noticed that Russell had vision issues. He was capable of flying but his lack of vision prevented him from doing so. He was later diagnosed with benine tumours in his eyes, only getting larger with age. Russell and his companion Yumi has since moved out with my daughter and have a room all of their own.
This was a rather long way of saying that the aviary where Tinkerbell and Oska are in has been ****ed for a non flying bird, branches have been placed all around the perimeters as well as ladders to help with climbing.
Back to Tinkerbell, she has now grown new feathers and has not plucked a single one. She also hasn't laid a single egg. The poor thing must have been so depleted in nutrients.
I am trying to introduce more greens into their diet and have bought Vetafarm Finch and Budgie Crumbles to add to their seeds. On the advice of this site, I have also bought probiotics and apple cider vinegar.
I have also bought them toys and have left made them get used to them. Their previous owner had said she didn't have any for them to play with.
Lutino, how gorgeous!
Thank you once again for all your advice.
Celine

·
Administrator
55,301 Posts
We generally don't allow pictures of this nature but I'm going to make an exception in this case.
However, please post pictures showing what TinkerBell looks like now so members can see what a difference GOOD CARE makes.
Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I apologise for causing any distress, it was not my intention. Tinkerbell is doing really well and is starting to show a bit more of her personality. Here are a couple of photos taken just moments ago.
20210424_103346.jpg

·
Administrator
55,301 Posts
You've done a tremendous job helping her recovery and I want to thank you for giving her a save and loving home!
Tinkerbell looks absolutely wonderful now and is a very beautiful girl. 💛💛

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You've done a tremendous job helping her recovery and I want to thank you for giving her a save and loving home!
Tinkerbell looks absolutely wonderful now and is a very beautiful girl. 💛💛
❤🦜❤ Thank you so much. She has stolen my heart.

·
Super Moderator
17,998 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums! :geek:

Tinkerbell is absolutely precious, beautiful, and looks SO much better. The before and after photos really put a smile on my face 🧚‍♀️

Thank you so much for giving her a much better life. Meanwhile, you've come to a great resource on the best of budgie care practices! If you have any questions after looking through the forums, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help.

We definitely are looking forward to seeing more of your girl around the forums! 👋

1 - 12 of 12 Posts