Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Just got these little ones from Petco and we initially thought they were both boys, but the employee helping us said he thought a boy and a girl, though he said they’re too young to tell. I believe the blue is a boy, but unsure on the grey and yellow. Any help is appreciated!
Bird Beak Wood Owl Grey
Bird Eye Wood Pet supply Bird supply
Bird Wood Parrot Pet supply Beak

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Man that's hard to tell...I "think" that they are both boys? But a natural photo (no flash) of their ceres (nose) will help.

Having a mixed set is not the end of the world, you just have to be mindful of a few extra things to keep them from breeding.

Either way, they are very cute! They are still babies, less than 4 months I'd say.

Names?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man that's hard to tell...I "think" that they are both boys? But a natural photo (no flash) of their ceres (nose) will help.

Having a mixed set is not the end of the world, you just have to be mindful of a few extra things to keep them from breeding.

Either way, they are very cute! They are still babies, less than 4 months I'd say.

Names?
Thanks so much! All photos were no flash, just overhead lighting as it’s later in the day. I can try to get a photo in natural light in the morning! Thank you for all the kind words and help! Their names are Bentley and Buggati (Bugs) :)

do you have any suggestions as to how to easily prevent breeding?

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Thanks so much! All photos were no flash, just overhead lighting as it’s later in the day. I can try to get a photo in natural light in the morning! Thank you for all the kind words and help! Their names are Bentley and Buggati (Bugs) :)

do you have any suggestions as to how to easily prevent breeding?
@FaeryBee will be along in a bit with a great introduction and links to a ton of useful articles.
The admins here are also quite good at spotting gender, so please do include the new pics in the morning.

Love the car theme(I'm assuming?)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@FaeryBee will be along in a bit with a great introduction and links to a ton of useful articles.
The admins here are also quite good at spotting gender, so please do include the new pics in the morning.

Love the car theme(I'm assuming?)
Cars it is!! Good guess lol! Thank you very much for being so welcoming :) we’re very excited about these new ones! I’ll be back in the morning with updated pics!

·
Super Moderator
4,065 Posts
They are adorable and look comfortable in their new home. When I zoom in on the first 2 pics the cere on the gray bird looks pink with a bit of a purplish cast which would make it a male but the 3rd pic looks a bit different, I can't see the cere of the blue one well enough to say. Which one is Bentley and which is Buggati?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are adorable and look comfortable in their new home. When I zoom in on the first 2 pics the cere on the gray bird looks pink with a bit of a purplish cast which would make it a male but the 3rd pic looks a bit different, I can't see the cere of the blue one well enough to say. Which one is Bentley and which is Buggati?
Wood Mesh Textile Pet supply Line

Sorry for the pic spam lol! The grey is Bentley and the blue is Buggati! Very happy to know they’re comfortable :)

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

As mentioned, we will need more pictures to definitely determine the gender of these precious babies!

IF it turns out you have a male and female
The gray and yellow is a male. I need to see additional pictures of the blue to be sure on its gender.

Rearranging their cage frequently will help tremendously.
Please be sure you never put a nest box or anything that could be used as a nesting site in their cage.
When they come into condition, limit the light they get to 8 hours a day and limit the amount of protein in their diet at that time.

A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
A Healthy Diet for your Budgie

Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

Looking forward to your additional pictures tomorrow. 💜💜

·
Super Moderator
18,583 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums!!

Congratulations on your new little ones! You’ve been given great advice above. I’m almost certain the grey is male and the blue is female but more photos in daylight, a little bit closer, would help, as mentioned :)

You’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! FaeryBee has given great resources, which include the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies”.
Be sure to ask if you have any questions after reading through everything! We’d be happy to help 👍🏻
Cheers! 👋🏻

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More pictures in the daylight! They’re a bit far from a window so not direct sunlight, but no flash or overhead lighting! Blue is Buggati and Grey is Bentley :)
Wood Gas Art Electric blue Metal
Bird Beak Wood Grey Feather
Bird Beak Pet supply Mammal Wood
Bird Beak Wood Parrot Feather

·
Super Moderator
4,065 Posts
I noticed on these recent pictures that Bentley's wings are clipped I am assuming Buggati's are as well, that means they will not be able to fly until the clipped feathers molt out and the new ones grow in which will be several months from now. Therefore if you take them out of the cage and they attempt to fly they will crash to the floor and possibly be injured, be careful with them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The sunlight makes a HUGE difference! 🌞 Two adorable girls :) Great news since you don’t have to worry about accidental breeding!
Oh goodness I’ve heard two females is not the greatest pairing. Is there a greater possibility they’ll fight? They seem to cuddle now

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I noticed on these recent pictures that Bentley's wings are clipped I am assuming Buggati's are as well, that means they will not be able to fly until the clipped feathers molt out and the new ones grow in which will be several months from now. Therefore if you take them out of the cage and they attempt to fly they will crash to the floor and possibly be injured, be careful with them.
Yes Buggati’s are too! Thank you for the advice

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Oh goodness I’ve heard two females is not the greatest pairing. Is there a greater possibility they’ll fight? They seem to cuddle now
All budgies are different. It's probably more of a concern if you were to introduce a new one to an established female, but since you got them together and they seem to be doing well, it should be fine.

Obviously if they start fighting or if either of them becomes food possessive, etc. you may need to re-assess.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts