Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone! I am the proud mama of 2 6-week old English budgies. I know post-attachment that I should have just gotten 1 at a time, but since I can't (and won't) change that now I was wondering if it would be best to put them in separate cages to make training and bonding to me easier? Would it be worth it? They're currently in a flight cage 30x18x18.

I'd rather keep them in just one, but have seen some recommendations to keep them separate. They've been together since day 1 (different parents, but housed together since hatching) and I've noticed the one less interested in me is very attached to the other. Yellow (no names yet!) will fly to wherever blue is if I have yellow out and blue's in the cage. I've only had them a week so that explains it too. I got 2 because I work long hospital hours a few days of the week and 2 seemed to be a good choice for companionship on those days, except that benefit would be lost if they're in separate cages.

i've attached pictures, if you skilled budgie owners could tell me their sex? And possibly their morphs? I was told it's too early to tell at almost 7 weeks, but I would like to say the blue one is male, and yellow (I was told it's a yellow spangle?) Is female.

Thank you very much!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
You have 2 adorable boys. On my computer the cere color of the yellow bird is pink with a somewhat purplish cast to it, this is an indication that it is a boy. Since they look like they are sitting very comfortably on your finger I am assuming that they have been hand raised, which may make it easier to train them. I would not separate them, it is a fact that a bird will always be another birds best buddy but that does not mean that you will not be able to train them and have a bond with each one. Every bird is an individual and there is no guarantee that every bird will take to training and have a strong bond with you even if they are an only bird and since you are away long hours I do not think it fair to separate them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You have 2 adorable boys. On my computer the cere color of the yellow bird is pink with a somewhat purplish cast to it, this is an indication that it is a boy. Since they look like they are sitting very comfortably on your finger I am assuming that they have been hand raised, which may make it easier to train them. I would not separate them, it is a fact that a bird will always be another birds best buddy but that does not mean that you will not be able to train them and have a bond with each one. Every bird is an individual and there is no guarantee that every bird will take to training and have a strong bond with you even if they are an only bird and since you are away long hours I do not think it fair to separate them.
You are wonderful, thank you for that! I've been watching youtube vids, including birdtricks' channel, that say to focus on training the one that seems more willing (blue) and that the other would follow suit. Would you say that's the way to go or should I try equally with both from the start?

I would say they are, at least partially, hand raised. They were fresh to seed when I took them home, so I have converted them to pellets and they are eating chop with seed mixed in to entice them. I currently own a tortoise, a french bulldog, 4 lizards, and a hamster and these two are definitely the sassiest and real hams of the bunch.

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
I would try equally at first and then concentrate on the one that seems most responsive. I say that because it has been my experience that a tame one is a positive influence on others to follow the behavior. Just don't give up if one seems more responsive than the other.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!
Your little boys are absolutely precious!
I certainly would never recommend separating the little guys at this point. They obviously are best buddies already and it wouldn't be fair to either of them.
Taming and Bonding takes a lot of time and patience but you've got them on your hand already so you're well ahead of the curve. Take things at their pace and you'll be just fine.
Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, all of the How To Guides, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Resource Directory
If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

·
Super Moderator
18,454 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums! :geek:

Your boys are so adorable! :love: I'd say that the grey one is a grey yellowface II opaline budgie, and the yellow is an olive green opaline greywing single factor dominant pied budgie :D

You've been given great advice and resources above by FaeryBee and Cody. Please be sure to read through everything, and if you have any questions after doing so, feel free to ask as we'd love to help!

Hope to see you around, and please keep us posted on your little ones! They are absolutely PRECIOUS~ do they have names yet?

Cheers 👋

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.