Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I have 2 Sky Blue Recessive Pied budgies and I was wondering, what would I get if I breed them together?

Will it be 100% Sky Blue Recessive Pied or will I get 25% or 50% of something?

Second question: In horses(sorry, it's a tiny bit off topic), if you breed an albino and an albino together you have a chance of getting a "lethal" gene in the foal and it dies shortly after it is born.
Do you get "lethal" genes in budgerigars??

Thank you for your patience

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Hi there!

I have 2 Sky Blue Recessive Pied budgies and I was wondering, what would I get if I breed them together?

Will it be 100% Sky Blue Recessive Pied or will I get 25% or 50% of something?

Second question: In horses(sorry, it's a tiny bit off topic), if you breed an albino and an albino together you have a chance of getting a "lethal" gene in the foal and it dies shortly after it is born.
Do you get "lethal" genes in budgerigars??

Thank you for your patience
Assuming both your birds are skyblue recessive pieds and carry no splits you will get 100% recessive pieds in blue.

If however they carry splits you might get things like opaline, cinnamon etc.

There are no lethal genes in budgies to my knowledge.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Chelsea
You cannot breed like 2 feather dusters, You can breed one feather duster with normal budgie. Google Barrie Shutt's website. He do have a lot of info on this type of breeding. I know he was or is still a member of TB.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
100% Skyblue Recessive Pieds expected...unless the birds are split for something else.

And like Owlet has mentioned, if a pair is known to produce a Feather Duster budgie, it's wise to avoid breeding that pair again.

These budgies have hard lives.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The chicks will all be sky blue recessive pied. If other mutations appear some of the chicks will have another mutation as well as the recessive pied. For example some could be greywing recessive pied or opaline recessive pied, etc. If the male happens to be split for ino you could get albinos that are masking recessive pied

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.