Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is zazu :p

(his beak needs trimmed btw)
my female is all white. they have 5 eggs as of now. 3 of which are def fertile. the other 2 still have a few days until I can tell for sure :)

I was just wanting some opinions on Zazus color mutation?

·
Lil' Birdy Girl
3,790 Posts
I don't know a thing about mutations, but I do know that your budgie's beak should not become overgrown if he has all of the things he needs in his cage. Make sure he has a cuttlebone and calcium block. My Charlie has some sort of calcium disorder that makes his beak grow long but it is easily controlled. :) Make sure he has lots of stuff to gnaw on to keep overgrowth from happening. :)

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Can you post some pics with his entire body? Always great to have one from the side and one from the front or back. Or all three. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have a cuttlebone and mineral block now. (they have for awhile now actually lol, Zoey loves the mineral block and has a orange face now because of it haha)

this isnt a very good pic, its the only one i have of his back side though. i can try to get more later

I just havnt been able to get his beak trimmed. Not long after I had gotten them, they where on eggs lol. I figured id leave them alone for a bit before freaking him out with getting his beak trimmed

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
He is a Sky blue Double factor Dominant pied - and with the back view he looks like he may also be Grey wing

from the 2nd pic your female doesn't appear to have red eyes? does she in person?

as for his beak - in the first pic it looks like it may of been damaged in the past - This will cause them to become over grown no matter how much they have to chew on and destroy

I've had one who when he fledged his nest he crashed into a Covered window(blinds were shut and curtains closed) he cracked his beak, it healed up fine but because of the crack his beak over grew and had to be trimmed at least every 3 months. The vet said he could see where it had been damaged, but as he got older and the more it grew- got trimmed-grew etc. It may end up outgrowing the entire "bad" part and not over grow any more.

I also had one who refused to chew anything but his food - But his beak only needed trimmed maybe once a year if that. so it didn't grow quickly

When your able to get him to the vet, if the vet says it doesn't look like it was damaged but you get it trimmed up and it grows back over grown Very quickly - Have the vet run tests - that normally means there is a health problem.

but if its just because he doesn't like chewing on things it normally doesn't get over grown again once trimmed very quickly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive been trying to see if Zoey had possibly dark red eyes. It dosnt look like it. And she does not have red eyes

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He is a Sky blue Double factor Dominant pied - and with the back view he looks like he may also be Grey wing

from the 2nd pic your female doesn't appear to have red eyes? does she in person?

as for his beak - in the first pic it looks like it may of been damaged in the past - This will cause them to become over grown no matter how much they have to chew on and destroy

I've had one who when he fledged his nest he crashed into a Covered window(blinds were shut and curtains closed) he cracked his beak, it healed up fine but because of the crack his beak over grew and had to be trimmed at least every 3 months. The vet said he could see where it had been damaged, but as he got older and the more it grew- got trimmed-grew etc. It may end up outgrowing the entire "bad" part and not over grow any more.

I also had one who refused to chew anything but his food - But his beak only needed trimmed maybe once a year if that. so it didn't grow quickly

When your able to get him to the vet, if the vet says it doesn't look like it was damaged but you get it trimmed up and it grows back over grown Very quickly - Have the vet run tests - that normally means there is a health problem.

but if its just because he doesn't like chewing on things it normally doesn't get over grown again once trimmed very quickly.
Well he for sure does not like to chew nothing but food lol.. Zoey will chew on anything pretty much, but he never has that ive known of or the past owner knew of

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Well he for sure does not like to chew nothing but food lol.. Zoey will chew on anything pretty much, but he never has that ive known of or the past owner knew of
There are some like that, I tried so many different things with mine he didn't want anything to do with any of them He didn't even play with the toys the most he'd do is Swing. but to actually play with a toy - that was like a sin or something to him lol he even looked at the others odd when they were all playing hard and he'd just sit there. He acted like they were the crazy ones :giggle:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are some like that, I tried so many different things with mine he didn't want anything to do with any of them He didn't even play with the toys the most he'd do is Swing. but to actually play with a toy - that was like a sin or something to him lol he even looked at the others odd when they were all playing hard and he'd just sit there. He acted like they were the crazy ones :giggle:
haha he sounds silly :). Zazu sorta plays with toys.. but not really lol. He will touch the bell then run away from it :p

·
Lil' Birdy Girl
3,790 Posts
Well, I am glad to hear your budgies have everything they need. :) Make sure you don't cut too far back when you are clipping the beak, it will bleed like CRAZY! :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well im not planing of doing it myself. I think id be to scared to. Theres a bird rescue place by me that trims wings, nails, and beaks. I though about taking him there to get it done. I may have to get it done soon because it seems to bother him a little when he eats. Otherwise hes fine lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.