Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh no... help people. I think I feel a miserable flare up of MBS coming on. I have 2 strains of this disease, but the Budgieitis form is the one that bothers me more often :(.

Lately, when I'm with Mink and Chip, I stand back and look at the nice 'giant' double flight cage. 63" long. It's 2 of those large standard flight cages in one, with a removable divider. Many times when I remove the divider, Mink and Chip are content to stay in one side (usually Chip's side for some reason) all day. The one side is still plenty spacious enough for 2 budgies. Then I imagine the divider in, and say wow... look at all that wasted open space on the other side... just perfect for 2 more budgies! :laughing2:

But seriously, I can't right now. At this current time, it is just not a good time to be adding any one new. So, that's where the support of you guys come in :). I need some sense to be talked into me. That is really the only way to get these terribly annoying MBS symptoms to subside.

I try to tell myself that 'another' good reason to wait is because I'd want young ones, and Mink and Chip are still young, and if I get everyone around the same age there would be more of a chance they will all be going around the same time too, and I'd want to try and avoid that if possible. Still... this rationale on top of the fact that the timing is not right, is not strong enough to hold me back! I need YOUR help!!! Pleeease, I'm begging you! :1zhelp:

·
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ha - you won't hear me telling you 'NO' Julie and I think you know that too :innocent: My motto is while there is still a corner free there is room for more birdies....:biggrin1:
Good Luck with the MBS :laughing2:
Ugh! You are no help at all Julie! :eek: You must be a member of the Enabler's Club! :laughing1:

Help!! Someone save me!!

·
Administrator
56,568 Posts
Obviously newer members are not familiar with the acceptable manner of posting in the Budgeaholic Support Group.

Those who post on the Budgaholic Support Group forum are sincerely asking for help and support to REFRAIN from adding another budgie at the particular time they are posting.

That is not to say they may not choose to indulge their desire at a different time, BUT when they ask for help on that forum it is not kind to try to "enable" them -- even in fun.

Sooo... As good friends and fellow budgie lovers, it is important that we provide the requested support in the Budgaholic Support Group Forum and save any and all "enabling" for the "Budgie Addicts with No Hope of Reform" forum.

If you are unable or unwilling to provide the requested support, please refrain from making any posts in this section of the forum.

·
Administrator
56,568 Posts
Julie,

Mink and Chip are doing so well together and have started to develop a good bond with one another. If you bring in additional budgies, you are going to end up messing with the flock dynamics and we all know it doesn't always work out the way we hope...

I would suggest you spend the time interacting with Mink and Chip rather than focusing on the size of the cage. ;)
Think about how great it is they have so much room to fly around and play when they have periods where they have to be confined to the cage. I believe the more room each budgie has, the better off they are.

You have three beautiful parrots, two gorgeous budgies and the ability to enjoy pictures of everyone else's flock here on the forum anytime you wish. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me! :hug:

·
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great points Deborah :)! Thank you so much for saying those things. You're right, I was focusing so much on the size of the cage and how it is all for only 2 little birds, and letting my mind go to the most obvious place with that. It's especially torturous when the bird stores in recent months have had such a vast selection of many gorgeous mutations of American budgies.

You're right about the dynamics changing too. That might mean the divider can never come out again. Regardless whether more males or females, there is always that risk depending on personality, and you never know for sure when you first get them. It could be a mess I'd regret. If I regretted it, then I wouldn't have room for yet another cage to separate them if need be, and I like my cages big!

I gotta go... I hear my 3 parrots calling for me now :D! Ugh and they keep me so busy cleaning too, even dirtier than budgies! I am not in the mood right now to clean any more than I already do :rolleyes:.

Okay, my fever is starting to die down... thanks Deborah :hug: I just need a little more support here from others too.

·
Super Moderator
18,458 Posts
Julie,

Don't you want Mink and Chip to have as much space as possible to stretch their wings? Wouldn't more budgies crowd them, even in that cage?

I daresay Miss Mink would probably be bothered, too, by more neighbours. She is doing so well with Chip now!

Besides, what if two new budgies only like Chip and don't like Mink? Or, what if Mink gets mad and is mean to them? Or, what if more budgies decide to break up Mink and Chip? Or worse--well, I'll stop right there. There's no reason to even have to think about such difficult changes with flock dynamics. :nono:

And then--four budgies?! No way, Jose. Not when you also have to spend time with the big boys. For me, just having Bucky and Mally in the same house is hard. I have to spend my time equally with Mallorn and Buck or things turn out bad. Imagine having to do that with seven birds! :scare: Now, that's just asking for trouble.

Besides, that's twice as much food, and twice as much poo--you would really have to up your cleaning game. But that's not even worth it, since already I'm sure you sigh every time you consider the four birdcages you have to clean. It may not seem hard now, but after two more little birdies are making twice the mess, it will get old very quickly.

I doubt it's even possible to get more budgies anytime soon, in fact. Mink and Chip are your two little ones--focusing on them is already a labour of love. There's no need to have to commit to even more cutesies; there's no doubt you would love them, but then Mink and Chip aren't Mink and Chip, they're Mink and Chip and Pea and Pooh, which collectively makes them a "flock" and not individuals, technically speaking.

I just wouldn't go that route. Seems perilous and unnecessary!

So there. No more!

·
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much Star! All those points are very true, and can't be ignored. It sounds too much of a risk, and I'm already busy, and cleaning is already ugghh so much.

I know Mink and Chip appreciate the large cage, even if some days they don't use all of it. There are a ton of toys in there, it's like budgie Disneyland in there, and Chip will use all of them at some time or another. I'm thinking that Mink is a bit introverted, and might prefer to have one friend instead of a flock.

...and you know I'd love to name budgies Pooh and Pea :laughing: haha I love how you remember I said that! Thanks again. :hug:

Thank you so much Shane. It does make a lot of sense. :)

·
Registered
37,563 Posts
Julie, it is a very hard and not easy task to refrain from simply adding to one's flock I know. The dynamics can tip the other way so easily as you know.
Just as I have come to realise on day in the future more budgies will be a blessing but until then keep the happy and positive relationships running smoothly I also agree with the amount of time and effort it takes to be a caring and responsible owner is huge. Not that any of us complain I am sure in this regard, be strong my friend and may the force be with you.:budgie::budge::rainbow::sky blue:

·
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Cathy :hug: Your words make a lot of sense. I agree it's a huge responsibility in terms of time and effort to keep our companion animals not only healthy, but happy too. Some people can responsibly do it with more, but everyone's particular situation is different.

To build a room with indoor aviary sized cages with a hard floor (not individual bird cages, and carpet) would be nice, and would facilitate easier cleaning and allow me to possibly keep more birds, and more easily socialize with each group that I have to keep separate, but that set up is not feasible right now in the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
37,563 Posts
Julie I find being here is a huge benefit as we get to see so many wonderful budgies of many mutations, personalities and lovely stories about them.
Sometimes I think oh I would love one like that, but we also get to see the other side . To be responsible, caring, and dedicated as you are ,proves you are a true TB member.:Love birds:

·
Administrator
56,568 Posts
To build a room with indoor aviary sized cages with a hard floor (not individual bird cages, and carpet) would be nice, and would facilitate easier cleaning and allow me to possibly keep more birds, and more easily socialize with each group that I have to keep separate, but that set up is not feasible right now in the foreseeable future.
Julie,

Having just added SIX additional budgies to my flock in the past three months, I can tell you the difference is huge. :eek:

Going from three to nine has increased the noise level, the mess, and the cleaning time required.
Additionally, I now have birds wanting to land and play in places that were never a concern in the past.
The flock dynamics have changed dramatically and are still evolving.

Before adopting these six budgies, I would often look at the pictures of other member's baby budgies and feel the twinges of wanting to get "just one more".
There is something so appealing about little baby birds (or puppies) that just makes us want to have them for ourselves.

I can safely say that although I love seeing the babies and I admire many of the different mutations of members' birds, I know I'm at my limit with nine budgies and three lovebirds.

I, too, would love to have a room devoted to the birds.
Unfortunately, I have budgies in the living room and lovebirds in the bedroom.
As you know, I also have to move Pedro and Poppy to the bathroom for their out-of-cage time.
While I love all my birds and am happy to have them, there are days I'd really like not to have to worry about vacuuming twice a day. :001_rolleyes:

I think concentrating on the birds we have and giving them the best life we possibly can provide is the best way for people like you and me to focus our "desires". ;)

·
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you so much Cathy. Your words mean a lot :hug:.

Deborah, I can imagine you do see a big change with the new additions. Different dynamics, more to watch, and definitely more cleaning! The 3 parrots are in my bedroom, and you know how quickly that can get disgusting. I'm always telling the boys "Guys! I just cleaned!" Plus 2 having separate out times, and having to cover the top of Robin's cage while the others are out, and constantly supervising, it can be mentally taxing and feel like I'm running a day care lol! Then if I had yet more budgies in the other room, and even more birds to get to know and more to clean.... Well, let's just say, my flare up has died down now. I really hope I can keep my symptoms at bay. Thank you so much :hug:.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.