Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought about 12 budgies to add to my flock, and some of them are quite unusual colours. I was just wondering if somebody would be kind enough to help me out in naming their mutations (or mix), and what sort of colours they might produce (already have several pairs split into breeding cages away from the other birds and pets, and some are already going down to nest).

There's the first one, he's a big boy :) It's hard to tell, but he's actually a really really light grey (body colour), which I didn't notice until after I bought him. Clues? I thought double factor spangle but then, they're not supposed to have any body colour...

Here's the second one, she's a mongrel of mutations but could hatch some interesting chicks I think. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I'm quite sure the first one is a DF spangle, by have no idea about the socond one - the pic isn't that clear on my phone.

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
I will say of your white DF spangle that they can show
color. I just recently learned this myself, but I'm told
they can. In fact, I just recently purchased a little fellow
who is a DF white bird with a blue belly as well as the gold
wash from being a YF II. He's a confused little bird :)

I suspect your white bird is doing the same suffusion thing,
although there are experts on this list who could advise you
with more certainty :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The local produce store where I get 90% of my birds often has loads of gems, ex-show breeders and so on, and has some stunning colours sometimes. In this 'newest' batch, I picked up a grey (aussie), Type I yellowface grey (aussie), yellowfaced violet (aussie), and I have a few others (mixed aussie and english). My favourites are Opalines, Yellowfaces and for some reason clearflight pieds, which I think one is (def dominant). Love budgies :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hen of first pair, 'Lovett'

**** of first pair, 'Sweeney'

Unpaired as of yet, 'Banana' (first time I saw him in his cage he was sitting like a banana...don't ask me why I choose odd names, I just do :p)

Hen of pair 2, 'Peacock'

**** of pair 2, 'Rex'

**** of pair 3, 'Micky'

Unpaired hen, Chlo (she accidentally fluttered into a crate with some chlorine in it, she's 100% fine but hence the name. I managed to wash her off under the tap, and the vet said if she didn't ingest any she'd be fine (this was probably two weeks ago).

From left to right: Buckbeak, 8 years old and going strong, Chlo - age unknown, Chip - age unknown, quite young I think though since her cere was still pale blue when I got her, Banana - age unknown.

Ghost - rung male, but I can't find the DOB or even year on there. Might be reading it wrong. Double factor grey spangle, unpaired as of yet

Chip - she's a very cheeky bird, and normally I don't like hens all that much because they're aggressive and moody, but she is so much fun to watch :3. Unpaired as of yet - considering pairing Ghost and Chip together? Ideas on resulting mutations?

Un-named, age unknown. Mongrel of mutations, unpaired at this time.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The first one (Ghost, was it?) is most likely a double factor spangle considering his eyes aren't pink or plum coloured, so I can't imagine what else he could be. I always thought that DF spangles could have a little bit of light colouring. I can't be sure at all, but the second one (the one closer to the left, correct?) looks like an opaline greywing or dilute golden or yellow face before the first molt. There may be a grey or dark factor in there somewhere too, since there are some darker patches. Either way, gorgeous birds!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sadly Ghost has passed away :( some sort of enteritis I think. The others seem to be in good health though, so it may have been incubating before I bought him. A shame, he was a lovely bird.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The bird you are calling a mongrel mutation is a type 2 yellow face opaline greywing grey

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.