Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm still trying to get this, but is this correct:

There is 3 kinds of pieds:

Dominant pied: Patch on back of head, has iris ring, and a band around tummy. Clear wing feathers. A bird CANNOT be split for dominant.

Recessive pied: patch on back of head, doesn't have iris ring, color on rump. A bird CAN be split for recessive.

Clearflight pied: Patch on back of head, has white flight feathers. A bird CAN be split for clearflight.

But to add to it dominant pied can be double factor leaving it mostly white or yellow, similar to a recessive. Then the only way to tell a df dominant and recessive pied is through the iris ring?

Also a DEC is a recessive pied and clearflight pied. So if bred to a normal has 100% split for recessive and 50% also are clearflight. (I think this is what Dean said.) So if that's true... If I bred a DEC to a Clearflight instead it would be, still 100% recessive but what else?

Also if I took one of those babies who would be split for recessive pied and bred it, then I should get some recessive pied out of it, correct?

To add to that, to get dominant pied the bird has to show it because it is dominant and can not be hidden or split?

I feel really stupid typing this, but I guess it's the only way I'll learn :eek: I hope I got some of this right!!!!!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just wanna try a few out, please tell me how I do :) Dominant, dominant, df dominant, df dominant?, recessive.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
A DEC bred to a clearflight pied would produce 75% clearflight pied(if the clearflight pied in both is sf) all split for rec pied.The clearflight pied chicks would get you 100% clearflight pied but you have to breed them with a rec pied or split rec pied to get some rec pieds(they'd be DEC).The normal chicks would give you some rec pieds if bred to a bird that is rec pied or split rec pied. To obtain rec pied the gene must come from both parents.
Think that's right.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Clearflight is a complete dominant, therefore the single and double factor clearflight dont appear visually different.

Since recessive pieds are recessive by nature they have two genes for recessive and will always pass one of those to their chicks. So if you breed a recessive pied to a single factor clear flight pied (that is not split recessive), ALL chicks will be split for recessive pied thanks to the recessive parent, and the clearflight pied will pass the clearflight gene to 50% of its chicks.

If you pair a DEC to a recessive pied, you will get 50% recessive pied chicks and 50% DEC chicks.
If you pair a DEC (with single factor clearflight) to a clearflight pied (SF) will produce chicks that are all split to recessive pied, and of those 25% would be DF clearflight pied (Impossible to tell visually), 50% would be SF clearflight and 25% would be normal. So yes, 75% would be visual clearflight pieds but it would be impossible to know visually who is SF and who is DF.

Also just to be confusing there is also a mutation called the frosted pied and perhaps one or two other obscure ones if i recall rightly.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clearflight is a complete dominant, therefore the single and double factor clearflight dont appear visually different.

Since recessive pieds are recessive by nature they have two genes for recessive and will always pass one of those to their chicks. So if you breed a recessive pied to a single factor clear flight pied (that is not split recessive), ALL chicks will be split for recessive pied thanks to the recessive parent, and the clearflight pied will pass the clearflight gene to 50% of its chicks.

If you pair a DEC to a recessive pied, you will get 50% recessive pied chicks and 50% DEC chicks.
If you pair a DEC (with single factor clearflight) to a clearflight pied (SF) will produce chicks that are all split to recessive pied, and of those 25% would be DF clearflight pied (Impossible to tell visually), 50% would be SF clearflight and 25% would be normal. So yes, 75% would be visual clearflight pieds but it would be impossible to know visually who is SF and who is DF.

Also just to be confusing there is also a mutation called the frosted pied and perhaps one or two other obscure ones if i recall rightly.
Actually I knew that there were frosted pieds :rolleyes: I forgot, I have a frosted pied!

Are these statements correct?
Dominant pied can be double factor leaving it mostly white or yellow, similar to a recessive. Then the only way to tell a df dominant and recessive pied is through the iris ring?

To add to that, to get a dominant pied the bird has to show it because it is dominant and can not be hidden or split?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Just wanna try a few out, please tell me how I do :) Dominant, dominant, df dominant, df dominant?, recessive.
The 1st three are opaline dominant pied. The 3rd & 4 birds could be double factor but some single factors have a lot of clear areas, double factor usually have less marking than these two. The 4th bird is a recessive pied

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Ok so I'm still trying to get this, but is this correct:

There is 3 kinds of pieds:

Dominant pied: Patch on back of head, has iris ring, and a band around tummy. Clear wing feathers. A bird CANNOT be split for dominant.correct

Recessive pied: patch on back of head, doesn't have iris ring, color on rump. A bird CAN be split for recessive.you often can not see the patch on the head as it is usually part of the yellow or white areas. they usually have body colour on rump and lower belly but can have a bit higher up sometimes. a split recessive pied often has a head patch.

Clearflight pied: Patch on back of head, has white flight feathers. A bird CAN be split for clearflight.no, clearflight is a dominant variety so a bird can't be split for it. if they have clear area on the body it usually is high up and attached to the mask.

But to add to it dominant pied can be double factor leaving it mostly white or yellow, similar to a recessive. Then the only way to tell a df dominant and recessive pied is through the iris ring?and through breeding.

Also a DEC is a recessive pied and clearflight pied. So if bred to a normal has 100% split for recessive and 50% also are clearflight. (I think this is what Dean said.) So if that's true... If I bred a DEC to a Clearflight instead it would be, still 100% recessive but what else?

Also if I took one of those babies who would be split for recessive pied and bred it, then I should get some recessive pied out of it, correct?yes, if bred to a recessive pied or a bird split for rec pied

To add to that, to get dominant pied the bird has to show it because it is dominant and can not be hidden or split?thats right

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.