Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been curious about budgie genetics recently and I've noticed that I couldn't find a website which clearly describes the yellowface gene.

Is it recessive?dominant?co-dominant?sex-linked? or just plain luck?

Any explainations will be apprieciated :)

Thank you!

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
Well, to start with you have:
DF = double factor
SF = single factor
GF = golden face
YF1 = yellow face 1
YF2 = yellow face 2

Green is DOMINANT to YF, YF is DOMINANT to blue.It is therefore INCORRECT to suggest that green MASKS yellowface. In fact it is correct to say that green can be split for YF. A Green bird CANNOT be split for blue AND YF.

SF GF's appear to have a strong golden coloured face but also have strong yellow suffusion through the body colour

The DF GF form reduces Yellow pigment even more. Restricting it almost to face areas only but retaining the strong golden pigment on the face.

Next is the YF2. This gene restricts yellow pigment more than the SF GF, but possibly less than the DF GF and shows a distinct lighter yellow suffusion throught the body colour but with a lighter yellow face colour than the GF.

DF YF2 is almost total restriction of yellow suffusion in the body colour, combined with the softer yellow face colouring and the almost completely white wing markings, showing little of the yellow pigment through the rest of the body.

Lastly is the YF1. This gene reduces yellow more strongly than the other 2 YF genes. In the single factor this bird looks just about identical to the DF YF2, with yellow restricted to the face area and little suffusion of the yellow colour into the body colour.

In the DF form the YF1 has 100% yellow pigment removal and looks identical to a normal white faced bird but will be genetically different. Test mating to a known normal blue or grey will give 100% yellowfaced chicks

I hope that makes a little bit of sense!

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Yellow face is complicated and that's why there is not much of anything out there to do with it, and what is out there makes no sense!

I've been told by "top notch breeders" a bird can't be split to yellow face (then those same people tell some one else their bird is split to yellow face), then I've read they can

then I read they can't be split to Yellow face blue they'd only be split to blue

and I still don't get how a Green Series bird can be a yellow face too - they already have a yellow face- that's like saying a Blue budgie can split to blue or a Green can be split to green - Makes no sense to me and no one can ever explain it to make any sense If they've already got the gene HOW can they "mask" it or "be split" to it - it's already there! but I gave up on trying

I know if you have a Type 1 yellow face and breed to a non yellow face you get some Yellow face babies

If you take a Type 2 yellow face to a non yellow face you get 100% Yellow face type 1

Type 1 = single factor
Type 2 = Double factor

If you take a Whiteface to a white face and get 100% yellow face type 1 babies, ONE of your White faces is in fact a Double Factor Type 1 Yellow face- They appear "normal" meaning having a white Mask.

Golden face works pretty much the same way but the yellow on the mask Is a LOT darker than a Yellow face - The yellow face as a Lemony Yellow face, while a Golden face is a deeper yellow like a Dandelion flower type yellow.

This is what I've gathered over the years from Reading from "top notch breeders" and or being told by them

I have Yellow Faces in all the varieties and SF Golden face- I just gave up on trying to understand how the gene works and pair who I want to together and Get what I want out of them mutation wise.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The thing that make yellow face genetics difficult is that many of our birds carry more than one type of yellow face. If you are dealing with one type at time the inheritance is quite straight forward.

The modern thinking is that yellow face is recessive to green and dominant to blue. This works in a similar way to the greywing and dilute genes. Greywing is recessive to normal and dominant to dilute

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.