Talk Budgies Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Has anyone ever experienced a budgie that is allergic / has a bad reaction to budgie seed? Is it even possible?! I know it sounds extremely weird, but now that Wasabi is fully on a pellet diet, her poops are more formed and no longer yellow, but brown. I'm scratching my head because it seems like an immediate change, and the only thing I'm doing differently is not letting her eat seed. I haven't had a chance to see if her energy levels have changed, because it's too soon, but her poops definitely seem to be much better!

Yesterday they were awfully yellow, fluffy, large and runny, and today they're brown, more formed and less runny. My other budgie is able to eat seeds and has no issues, she's super vibrant and has beautiful feathers and is very strong and active, her poops belong in a museum as they're works of art.

Edit: Jinxed it, her poop still isn't good. Instead, it's just brown now but the same as her yellow ones.

·
Super Moderator
3,344 Posts
I have never had a bird that is allergic to seed but one of mine cannot eat flax seeds, he will vomit them up. Depending on the brand of seed you get some have additives added to them, they are sprayed onto the seed so it is just on the outside but a bird might ingest some when they hull the seed. A change to pellets will make the droppings brownish, sort of a medium brown as long as the pellets are not colored. Sometimes with a switch to pellets a bird may drink more water, have you seen her drinking more?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
She's drinking the same amount, I believe. She's still a little terror begging for seeds, constantly trying to break out the cage to get to me. Should I be worried about this? Because I've been with her all day holding the pellet bowl for her to eat from, I've seen her eat a lot of pellet. But I don't know how much is a normal amount. For some reason, she just refuses to eat from the bowl by herself, I gotta hold it for her.

So I can't tell if she's just craving seeds (does it take time for her to get over the high fat diet and kick the cravings) or if she's hungry and wants to get out so I feed her. But I'm pretty sure she's eating enough! My other budgie Chick eats with us and is happily playing in the cage and not begging for seeds.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts