Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member of the Month
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a recipe I found on the net one day. When I was a kid I HATED it when my mum made cabbage rolls. Now I'm a Mum, cabbage is my hero :giggle:

1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cabbage, cored and chopped
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can tomato juice - NOTE: I use V8 juice 'cause it's tastier
1 tablespoon cider vinegar or wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
dash nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
Tablespoon or so of brown sugar

Cook your beef and onion, drain the fat off. Add the minced garlic and let it cook for a minute or so.

Add your cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, vinegar, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.

Towards the end I taste and add more pepper, salt or whatever I need. I also like to add about a tablespoon of brown sugar to cut the vinegar a bit and make it all taste a bit richer. You can omit this if you prefer.

I make my rice whilst this is cooking and then stir it through the cabbage mix before serving. I usually like to use brown rice but with this I like white better. Again, it's preference, you can use what you have to hand.

It's healthy and delicious and I get clean plates all around, every time. It's also nice and cheap to make, which is ever a bonus when you're me!

If you try it I hope you enjoy :D

·
Member of the Month
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're so welcome :D

Actually I meant to say, I sometimes use those boil in the bag rice things. I only use one when I make this, and that's for 4 of us (normally I'd use two packets or even three if was making curry, for instance). It goes a long way when you mix it all through. I serve it with crusty brown bread or sour dough when I can find it :D

·
Servant of The King
11,866 Posts
Sounds really good....:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.