Talk Budgies Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Some background. Maddy is about 1 year old. Thought he was female until about a month ago when his cere turned blue (!)

We got Morgan a little over a month ago, thinking she was male due to her light blue cere (she is about 4-5 months old) until I read a post here that indicated a youngster with a light blue cere with white around the nares is probably female.
They just started sharing the cage.
Anyway, Maddy has started running around excitedly when both are on top of the cage and 'kissing' Morgan, then running around again. This only happens on top of the cage and they somewhat settle down after a while. I took a video, but do not know the correct file extension to share.

Is Maddy upset that another bird has entered his prized domain of top of the cage? Is this courtship behaviour? Should I not let Morgan up there with him?
SO many questions.
Thank you!
Wendy

·
Administrator
55,085 Posts
Morgan is showing how very excited she is to have a friend. She exhibits the behavior on top of the cage because that is the easiest place for her to run about excitedly.

You can easily share videos just by adding the URL directly into the text editor!

As you have a mixed gender pair, please be sure you do everything necessary to prevent breeding.

https://www.talkbudgies.com/threads/a-heartfelt-plea-to-forum-members-new-and-old.327889/#post-3352057
https://www.talkbudgies.com/threads/guidance-for-breeding-advice-threads.400692/#post-4073930

Rearranging their cage frequently and limiting the light they get to 8 hours a day will help tremendously. Please be sure you never put a nest box or anything that could be used as a nesting site in their cage.

When they come into condition, limit the amount of protein in their diet at that time. :)

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi FaeryBee,
Thank you so very much.
I have read a lot regarding dissuading breeding, but thank you for adding to it.
Love this site.

·
Administrator
55,085 Posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad you are finding Talk Budgies to be beneficial.
I've corrected my post above as I realized you indicated it is Maddy that is running about excitedly.
I'd love to see some pictures of Maddy and Morgan.
If you have any you'd like to share, you can do so in the "Budgie Pictures" section of the forum.
Best wishes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts