Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a baby budgie (7 weeks old, unweaned as of yet) that has a lump that has slowly gotten bigger over the last two days. Yesterday it was a tiny, red protrusion between his vent and ribcage/ Today it is much larger, nearly the size of my finger tip. His clutch made had one as well yesterday, but today it is gone. The clutch made who's lump disappeared is in the process of weaning and is down to one tow two feedings a day with water given a supplemental because he does not seem to understand that he must drink as well. I was thinking that maybe it is constipation that is causing this and treated his abdomen with olive oil after soaking in a hot bath. I did get him to pass stool after doing this for him but the lump is not going down in size. What could it be from. The whole clutch of babies was recently treated for Coccidia and for a secondary infection that set in afterwards. The oldest of the four is not weaned yet and seems to be the healthiest (8 weeks old), he has not shown any issues since finishing the medication, just the second and third oldest have. The second oldest is now weaning and not showing the lump since I started the water supplementation. They just finished their meds on Thursday July 1. Could this be an issue brought on by the antibiotic? I have probiotics I give my birds and have recently started the babies on them to rebalance their digestive tract. My vet's office is closed for the holiday. They will not be reopening until Tuesday. I don't want to leave this little guy untended if there is something I can be doing for him in the mean time. They are all being hand fed Kaytee Exact Hand Feeding Formula for Companion Birds. Though this is probably totally unrelated, I also have the youngest of them being treated for a ruptured airsac. My vet is assisting me with every issue mentioned in this thread. I am having terrible luck with this clutch of babies and I cannot figure out why. I have been a successful breeder for many years with very few issues and them BAM, all at once, I have so much going on with just one clutch. Please help. Any advice is welcome. They parents are a sky blue (male) and an albino (female). They are 3 and 4 years old and have bred 3 times prior to this with last summer being the most recent breeding. My birds are fed fresh veggies (kale and carrots are their favs), fresh and dried fruits, bean cuisine (my own recipe), and a blended seed, chopped lentil and nut, and herb mix daily. They have always had access to vitamin and mineral blocks and LOVE them. They are all free flight and spoiled in my living room. If you need any other information about the babies or the parents, please let me know. I just want to help my little baby boy! Thank you so much!

Note* I looked through other post topics and throughout the site to see if I could find anything and have not yet found anything I might be able to use to help me out. Thank you for a quick reply.

·
Super Moderator
4,807 Posts
How close to the vent is it, are you sure that it is not some sort of prolapse? I have recently dealt with a cloacal prolapse in one of my birds and the red protrusion you describe sounds suspiciously similar.

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
I'm really sorry you are having so much trouble with this clutch.

Do you have any auto-ship subscriptions for any pets with Chewy.com?
If so, you can contact them for veterinary assistance for free. They are available daily from 8 AM to 11 PM ET

If you do not, then I'd suggest you contact an on-line Avian Veterinarian through
Just Answer Veterinarian for Birds

I'm assuming you will not be breeding the 4 year old budgie after this clutch as budgies should not be allowed to breed once they reach 4 years old.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How close to the vent is it, are you sure that it is not some sort of prolapse? I have recently dealt with a cloacal prolapse in one of my birds and the red protrusion you describe sounds suspiciously similar.
I am sure it is not a prolapse. The vent itself is fine, though slightly puckered. The area looks as though he is swollen from the inside and is clearly part of his abdomen. I will take a pic and see if I can get it uploaded here in a few mins. Thank you for your thoughts though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm really sorry you are having so much trouble with this clutch.

Do you have any auto-ship subscriptions for any pets with Chewy.com?
If so, you can contact them for veterinary assistance for free. They are available daily from 8 AM to 11 PM ET

If you do not, then I'd suggest you contact an on-line Avian Veterinarian through
Just Answer Veterinarian for Birds

I'm assuming you will not be breeding the 4 year old budgie after this clutch as budgies should not be allowed to breed once they reach 4 years old.
No, I don't have anything on autoship from Chewy. I get everything I need from a local bird store/breeder in my area, Varietee's Exotic Birds.I have tried just answer and they never got back to me on my question about birds; this was just recently for the baby with the ruptured airsac. I canceled my term and asked for a refund because it had been over a week with no reply.

As for the 4-year-old. He is my male. I had heard he could breed for another year by some local breeders. Should I stop his breeding with this clutch then? I know it is hard on the females as they are the ones who raise the babies and lay the eggs. None of my birds are left in the nest box after they reach two weeks old. I am still a bit new to budgie breeding. I have been doing cockatiels and lovebirds since I was 13. I am now 37. I have bred a few other species in-between. I have always wanted to do parakeet though. I never could get them to breed before. I did so much research I could write a book on it, but never have I seen or heard of this issue. Even google leaves me at a loss. Everything I have come across just does not match his condition. His appetite is great, his energy level is high, he is still his sweet little self. I just don't get it. The lump has not gotten any bigger since this morning either. His brother is completely gone, too, no sign that he ever had it. I have been giving him thinned down feeding with olive oil drops mixed in it. He is emptying out completely still. I just moved him to a separate box with white paper bedding so I can see if he is actually pooping or not when I did his last feeding. I have grown used to being pooped on before, during, or after feeding time by nearly every baby every time I feed, but he has not pooped on me in a while. I will see here shortly if he is pooping at all. I believe he is pooping a little bit at least since he does not seem to be any more swollen. As mentioned in the above reply, I will get a pic of him here shortly and post it if possible. I am stuck using my daughter laptop which is a bit slow and may not post it. If I can do it straight from my phone, I will get it up that way. Thanks for you help and advise.

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
As a "Best Practice" the forum recommends that budgies should no longer be bred once they reach 4 years old. I would not advise allowing the male to have another clutch.
Additionally, I would not breed the female again either. It sounds to me as though there is something wrong genetically with this particular clutch.

With regard to pulling the chicks for hand feeding, I'd like suggest you to consider "Co-Parenting" instead.

Planned Co-Parenting in Raising Tame Chicks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a "Best Practice" the forum recommends that budgies should no longer be bred once they reach 4 years old. I would not advise allowing the male to have another clutch.
Additionally, I would not breed the female again either. It sounds to me as though there is something wrong genetically with this particular clutch.

With regard to pulling the chicks for hand feeding, I'd like suggest you to consider "Co-Parenting" instead.

Planned Co-Parenting in Raising Tame Chicks
I would consider co-parenting. That's not a problem at all. This advise does not help with the particular issue at hand though. Do you think you have any idea what could be going on here and how to help him? I am posting pics now. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It would appear that this baby has been pooping, just maybe not as much as he should. There are about 7 or so poops in the paper bedding. If i take into account that i gave him a thinned down formula mixture all day, it makes sence that there were so few in 4 hours. The lump is still there and it does appear to be a bit smaller still than the last feeding. What on Earth could be causing this...?

·
Super Moderator
4,807 Posts
I don't know what this is, but in looking at it the first thing that comes to mind is fluid, does the lump seem to be fluid filled ? Another thought is something might be herniated.

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
I wish I could help you but I really don't know what is causing the problem for your chick(s).
Are you hand-feeding via syringe or spoon?
Is there any way that the chick could have aspirated the formula?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He is syringe fed but slowly and i never put it past the mouth. I let the baby take the formula at a rate they are confortable with. I also do linnies and they feed SUPER SLOW, so i am used to letting them take their time. I guess i will just have to wait for an appointment with the vet when they reopen Tuesday. He seems completely fine otherwise. Thanks so much for all of your help. I will continue sick bird care until we see the vet so he does not take a turn for the worse before then. Have a great holiday!

·
Super Moderator
18,906 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums!

I hope the vet visit went welll!

Meanwhile, you've been given great advice and resources above by FaeryBee and I agree with her completely. Please be sure to read through the forums' many budgie articles and "stickies" to ensure you're up to date on everything!

If you have any questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help.

We hope to see you around!

Cheers 👋

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.