Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
My budgies laid an egg exactly 18 days ago and today it has hatched. The hen laid total 4 eggs so there are still 3 in the next box. The parents are in a cage with 4 other birds. None of them have caused any trouble to the eggs till now. I am thinking of moving the parents and all the chicks (when they come out) to another cage with the next box so they can care for them in peace. That way I will also be able to observe the chicks
more carefully. Will that be ok? Also what should I feed the parents. A guy in a YouTube video was saying to only feed millets the first week. Others said to give eggs every other day. What do you say?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

· Administrator
60,475 Posts
The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being
Locating an Avian Veterinarian

When you have mixed genders, it is very important to do everything necessary to prevent breeding.
Budgies are much healthier and happier when they are never bred.

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

Please answer the following questions:

How long have you owned budgies?
Are you certain the parents of the clutch are not related?
How old are each of the parents?
Why did you allow the budgies to breed?
Do they have a proper nest box with a concave bottom?
Did you read the four links on breeding posted above?
How large is the cage the 6 adult budgies are in at this time?

Colony breeding is never recommended due to the inherent risks and dangers.

Individual Breeding Cages - Why is this so Important?

The parents, chick, nest box and unhatched eggs should be carefully moved into a properly sized individual breeding cage (76 cm Long x 46 cm Wide x 46 cm High) at this time.

An individual needs to have a good background in basic budgie care and then do extensive research into the proper breeding practices prior to making the decision to accept the responsibility of the commitment required for breeding responsibly and ethically.
From your post, it appears you have neither the knowledge nor experience to have allowed your birds to breed at this point in time. :(

Please take the time to read all of the budgie articles regarding breeding.
Articles re: Budgie Breeding

The adult budgies should be being fed a healthy diet as outlined in the links below:

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Additionally, please be sure to read the thread "Posting on the Forums" which is linked below.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine - Is it Really that Important?
Quarantine Your Birds
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being
Locating an Avian Veterinarian

When you have mixed genders, it is very important to do everything necessary to prevent breeding.
Budgies are much healthier and happier when they are never bred.

Please answer the following questions:

How long have you owned budgies?
Are you certain the parents of the clutch are not related?
How old are each of the parents?
Why did you allow the budgies to breed?
Do they have a proper nest box with a concave bottom?
Did you read the four links on breeding posted above?
How large is the cage the 6 adult budgies are in at this time?

Colony breeding is never recommended due to the inherent risks and dangers.

Individual Breeding Cages - Why is this so Important?

The parents, chick, nest box and unhatched eggs should be carefully moved into a properly sized individual breeding cage (76 cm Long x 46 cm Wide x 46 cm High) at this time.

An individual needs to have a good background in basic budgie care and then do extensive research into the proper breeding practices prior to making the decision to accept the responsibility of the commitment required for breeding responsibly and ethically.
From your post, it appears you have neither the knowledge nor experience to have allowed your birds to breed at this point in time. :(

Please take the time to read all of the budgie articles regarding breeding.
Articles re: Budgie Breeding

The adult budgies should be being fed a healthy diet as outlined in the links below:

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Additionally, please be sure to read the thread "Posting on the Forums" which is linked below.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine - Is it Really that Important?
Quarantine Your Birds
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory
Hello.
First to answer your questions..
1. I have had budgies for about 2 and a half years. The current ones for only 3 months.
2. The parents came from 2 different stores. So they are certainly not related.
3. Male is around 1.5 and female 1 year old.
4. Because I want to hand raise the chicks.
5. They have a clay pot with concave bottom.
6. Yes.
7. 2.5×2×3 inches L×W×H.

They eat veg chops,grains, egg food, sprouts along with their seed mix.
Currently 2 out of 4 eggs have hatched. First chick is 5 days old and second is 2 days old. One egg will most likely hatch tomorrow and another one looks to be infertile but i haven't removed it yet.
So i am thinking of moving the nest box to a separate cage when the 3rd chick hatch. The chicks are active and being fed well by the hen.

· Administrator
60,475 Posts
As indicated in my previous post parents and chicks need to be in an individual cage a minimum of 76 cm Long x 46 cm Wide x 46 cm High

Please take the time to re-measure the cage the birds are in currently and provide the accurate dimensions.
What you indicated cannot be correct.

A clay pot is not an acceptable nest box. You should have a proper nest box made of wood with a concave bottom or a Hagen nest box

Hand raising chicks is not a good answer. The chicks should be, at best, co-parented
Co-Parenting Chicks
When the chicks reach 3 1/2 weeks old, the mother should be removed from the cage and the Father should continue raising the chicks until they are fully fledged and weaned.

How old are the chicks at this time?
What do you intend to do with the chicks once they are adults?
Do you have an Avian Vet?
How much research did you do with regard to breeding before allowing these budgies to breed?

Please take the time to read all of the Budgie Articles in the Forum with regard to breeding.
Articles: Budgie Breeding

Additionally, keep in mind for the future that budgies are much healthier and happier when they are never bred.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
As indicated in my previous post parents and chicks need to be in an individual cage a minimum of 76 cm Long x 46 cm Wide x 46 cm High

Please take the time to re-measure the cage the birds are in currently and provide the accurate dimensions.
What you indicated cannot be correct.

A clay pot is not an acceptable nest box. You should have a proper nest box made of wood with a concave bottom or a Hagen nest box

Hand raising chicks is not a good answer. The chicks should be, at best, co-parented
Co-Parenting Chicks
When the chicks reach 3 1/2 weeks old, the mother should be removed from the cage and the Father should continue raising the chicks until they are fully fledged and weaned.

How old are the chicks at this time?
What do you intend to do with the chicks once they are adults?
Do you have an Avian Vet?
How much research did you do with regard to breeding before allowing these budgies to breed?

Please take the time to read all of the Budgie Articles in the Forum with regard to breeding.
Articles: Budgie Breeding

Additionally, keep in mind for the future that budgies are much healthier and happier when they are never bred.
Oh my bad. The dimensions are in feet not in inches.
The older chick is 1 week old and second one's 4 days old. I had already drop the idea of handfeeding the chicks. I will just spend time with them when they get 3 weeks old.
I will keep them until their last breath. We don't have any avian vet for exotic birds just some who deal with wild pigeons and sparrows. Also I have Seperated them in a different cage which is 2 feet long, 1.5 feet tall and 1 feet wide.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello.

I posted a thread about my budgie chicks about a month ago. I just wanted to let you know they are doing great. Both of them came out of nest yesterday.
Bird Textile Beak Purple Pink

Bird Purple Textile Pink Wood

Bird Beak Textile Parrot Parakeet

Toy Textile Purple Wood Pink

I am still trying to figure out names for them. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are adorable! I'm so glad that they are doing well. Personally, I would name them Ginger and Garlic ;)
Great names. Definitely up for consideration 😆. Any tips for bonding with the chicks? They allow me to screech them on the head ( well at least when they feel like it 😅). I caught them munching on some veggies today. At what age will they be self? They are 30 and 28 days old. I removed the nest box today. Is it ok?

· Administrator
60,475 Posts
Are the babies eating well in their own?

Are you able to give them supplemental feedings to ensure the get enough food?

If so, then the father needs to be moved into a cage by himself and you need to help the chicks by hand feeding until they are fully weaned.

Do not put the father in with any other budgies at this time.
Work to bring him out of condition.
You do not want him injuring the chicks by trying to mate with them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts