Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Member of the Month March 2013
2,266 Posts
Hi Deb, I'm sorry to hear that Sunny and Sparky can't get along just yet, maybe given time, Sunny will become more confident and able to fend off Sparky and stick up for himself.
I guess at the moment Sunny is vulnerable and Sparky is taking advantage of that - naughty Sparky!

Take care xx

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Poor little guy. Birds go through a mourning period. Sunny doesn't understand what happened. All he knows is that his little friend is gone. He's taking it very hard right now.
I may take a while for him to accept another friend. He surely needs some extra attention right now. But if he seems okay than maybe a solitary lifestyle is best for him.
I know it's a touchy situation. You're probably thinking 'should I get another bird or not'.
No easy answer Deb.

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
Oops, that is not news I anticipated hearing from
your flock! Poor little Sunny, having lost his sibling
is hard enough, but having Sparky change his behavior
too is a bit much for anybody to cope with. I'm sure
Sparky is confused by Shelby's absence as well, though
coping by picking on Sunny is not the answer. I
must admit that I wondered about a new bird joining
your little family, but that is a decision that will wait.

I know everyone is still in mourning and adjusting.
I hope things settle down very soon for everyone.
Sending hugs, peaceful vibes and prayers your way
:hug:

Reactions: FaeryBee

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Poor little Sunny :( I completely agree with what everyone has said, he is still definitely mourning for his best little buddy. Thankfully he has his own space during this very difficult time, and I have no doubt that he is very happy to have you around to give him some much needed attention :hug:

I would suggest waiting a few weeks before deciding if Sparky and Sunny will get along or not as it is so soon after Shelby's passing. When they are in a weakened state budgies are not very nice to each other at all, and I am sure Sparky is picking up on Sunny's fragile mental state right now :( Once a little time passes and he begins to adjust they might very well end up being best buddies, so don't give up hope just yet Deb! :hug:

·
Administrator
55,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks to everyone for your support and good wishes for Sunny.

Sunny is doing better. He has out-of-cage time each day with Sparky for a few hours and they each have their own cage to return to for sleeping.

I also put Sunny's cage next to Peachy's cage for a couple of hours in the evening and he enjoys "talking" to Peachy.

If I sit next to Sunny's cage, he'll come over close to the bars and chirp and budgie-talk to me. I know he misses Shelby but he's actually adjusting much better than I initially thought he would thanks to all the other birds in the room.

I'm doing OK. I have to remind myself not to focus on what Shelby had to endure because of the freak accident because I just can't stand the thought of how he suffered. :(

I'm working to remember all the good times Shelby had while he was with us. I take comfort in knowing Shelby is no longer in pain, and is playing happily at the Rainbow Bridge until we meet again.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
what a little stinker Sparky is being! He just doesn't want to share his mansion with anybudgie else :rolleyes: Interested you say that though because it was the opposite here, Julio was the one being tormented by the two little ones :eek: hopefully everything works out well for your two sunshine buds :)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Thanks for the update, sounds as though Sunny is adjusting slowly but surely. I was thinking of how your heart would be aching, hopefully seeing Sunny bearing up and coming over to be with you will be a pick up for you :hug:

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.