Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help with mutation and gender?

Hi all! I am new to this forum and would really love some help and opinions on my current clutch :) They are 5 weeks old

I have had a numerous amount of opinions on the pied baby, but would love to know what you guys think?
I am still learning about mutations, I really want to learn more :bml:

Here are my 2 babies ...

Here are the parents ...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Oops I didn't see baby #2 there! It's hard to tell without more pictures, but at the moment it's looking like a male dark eyed clear.

·
Super Moderator
18,016 Posts
They are beautiful!

Baby 1 looks like a cobalt cinnamon single factor dominant pied. Do you have more photos of him taken in natural light? For some reason it almost looks like he's got two shades of blue on his belly.

Baby 2 I can't see his wings well enough to comment on his full mutation but I think maybe he is spangle greywing (?) cobalt. More photos of him would be helpful too. He is also male ;)

Mum is a sky blue opaline budgie, making all the boys split for opaline, and dad is a cobalt spangle budgie.

They are beautiful!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Hey there, two points...neither parent is a pied, and neither is cinnamon.

I have some thoughts on these babies, but am interested in other views as I think they are unusual.

·
Administrator
55,336 Posts
Hi! :welcome: to Talk Budgies

StarlingWings and tonic (budgie mutation experts) will work out the matter of the mutations between them.
I'll just say that I think your flock is beautiful! :happy4:

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, all of the How To Guides, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

Site Guidelines
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies
How-To Guides
FAQs Frequently Asked Questions
Budgie Articles
List of Stickies
Be Prepared for Veterinary Expense
Avian First Aid
Why Quarantine?

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Guidance regarding Breeding Advice Threads

Recommended Minimum Cage Sizes
Essentials for a Great Cage
Resource Directory

When you upload pictures as attachments directly from your computer, tablet or phone, the forum automatically defaults to landscape. Additionally, the picture appears as what we term a "thumbnail" attachment.

To upload full-sized pictures with the proper orientation, please use a photo-sharing service such as Imgur and follow the steps in these instructions:
How to Post Full Size Pictures from a Photo Sharing Site
You can practice uploading pictures in the site's "Test Forum:
Test Forum

By the way, all photos entered in any of our forum contests must be a full-size photo and not a thumbnail attachment so it's good to know how to upload them! ;)

If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

Glad you decided to join us and looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

:wave:
[/COLOR]

·
Super Moderator
18,016 Posts
Oh, duh. :blush:

Toni is right. Baby 1 looks cinnamon but can't possibly be as she would have to be female if Dad were split. And Baby 1 is definitely male. Also-- no pied parents? Very odd. I'm thinking that perhaps the first chick is a chimera? More photos would help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thankyou all, I thought here would be a good place to get the opinions on the babies, the pied is definitely unusual.
The pied does have 2 shades of blue, on the left (looking from front) it is sky blue and the other side has mostly cobalt/violet/grey looking colour, its spread unevenly through his chest.
The 2nd one has very light bar markings. I will get some more photos of the babies and post them soon :)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
More picture will be great! I agree with the pied being a half-sider/chimera, which is very special! The way the markings on the head are 'chopped off' half way across is another oddity that adds to the chimera idea.

It is quite young so I am not convinced it won't turn out to be a hen. And I think it is most likely a very heavily marked recessive pied, which are usually hens rather than cocks. It is a very odd pair of babies though!

The other chick looks to be a dark eyed clear, which would require both recessive pied and clearflight. So, maybe we have both parents split for recessive pied, and one of them being a clearflight without any obvious pied markings? Unlikely but possible! In that case the pied chick could turn out to be a clearflight/recessive pied chimera.

More pics will be great, and more as they age too! If the pied gets an iris ring it will clarify things. At the moment I am leaning towards dark eyed clear hen (if the faint markings are actually not real markings) and a skyblue and cobalt cinnamon recessive pied hen that is possibly also clearflight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will definitely post their progress as they grow. I really never expected to have something so different from the parents .. lol

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Hmmm, is the colour on the white only suffusion and the markings ghost markings or is it a very very pale dilute? I think it is to pale for a dilute and the cheek patches look white. So more likely a dec?

The pied almost looks like it is part cinnamon normal and part pied. I still lean towards recessive pied.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know a lot about mutations, and it's really hard to get a photo that shows the colour properly on that white one.
The sky blue colour is brightest on each side of the back and under the wings on the body.
The front looks like a pale sky blue and kind of grey looking at the same time.
The cheek patches are a light blue in the light, and looks violet out of the natural light.
On the wings, you can hardly see the markings, they are most visible on the head, but eve then, hard to see.

The other thing I should add that you can't really see in the photos for the pied one, is that on one side of his tail, now only seen from underneath, has what appears to be one or 2 darker colour tail feathers. Looks cinnamon colour.
Also a what looks like a patch of violet on the back, at the very top where the wings feathers meet in the middle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey guys! Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Baby #1 is a cinnamon male (which he does appear to be), then doesn't the mother also have to express with cinnamon for it to even be possible?

That aside, my guess for his classification would be "sky blue violet, recessive pied (unusual patterning), cinnamon".

Although in this picture, he almost looks to be plain sky blue on one side, and violet on the other... o_o

A mystery indeed!

·
Super Moderator
18,016 Posts
You're right, of course ;)

That's why we didn't originally say cinnamon, which is obviously not possible by inheritance alone.

However, mutations are called "mutations" because they first arose independently as errors in DNA replication occurred. It's very possible that this chick had one of those mutations arise independently. That would make sense, especially as he seems to possibly be a chimera, which would therefore indicate a whole host of genetic mutations present. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's very possible that this chick had one of those mutations arise independently. That would make sense, especially as he seems to possibly be a chimera, which would therefore indicate a whole host of genetic mutations present. :)
Well that would be very special indeed! He's gorgeous nonetheless~

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but I believe Baby #2 could be a sky blue spangle dilute? It would be logical given the father's SF spangle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will surely post more photos when he/she matures! :laugh:
So the cinnamon in this one is kind of like how someone first ended up with one when discovered?
We shall see if this chimera continues through after its first moult.
Would it be worth getting a DNA test done on it to confirm its gender?

I will breed this pair again at the end of the year and see what we end up with again.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
No point getting DNA done, it will become very clear what the gender is as it matures. If it is a hen then the cinnamon is following normal inheritance, if it is a **** then something interesting is going on. I know they have been separated form others for a couple of months, but none of the others had access to the side of their cage did they? They can be very, very sneaky!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.