Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
A few of you might remember my several panicked threads over the last few months asking for the best way to fly across Canada with my lovebird Kuzco. We did it today and I'm pleased to report that it went just awesome. We had to be at the airport for 5am, so Kuzco was already cranky when we got to airport security. I requested a private search room, they took us out back, got me to take him out of the carrier, then he sat on my shoulder while they scanned the carrier. He did make a break for it, but I had him clipped ahead of time, which I was grateful for because there were a lot of cabinets in the search room he could have gotten stuck behind. The first thing I thought of when I saw the room was "this is the least bird-safe room I've ever seen."
WestJet gave us priority boarding and were super nice. They knew he was coming so all the flight attendants were waiting at my row to see him. They gave him some water and offered him some pretzels mid-flight. Kuzco spent the entire flight sulking in his happy hut, as he does when we go in the car. He looked a little more stressed then in the car, but he never once complained and as soon as we landed, he came out of the happy hut to have some of the nutriberries that I'd also put in the carrier. I got his cage all set up and he's been cautiously exploring the new place (he seems a lot less confident after being clipped). He is also a bit jet lagged. We are currently three hours behind our usual time, so he thinks it's bedtime and is getting frustrated because he's trying to sleep and it's still light out. I tried covering him, but he hissed at the cover. Meh. All in all, the whole thing was a very positive experience and even though he didn't seem thrilled, he is a drama queen so I take everything he does with a grain of birb. WestJet was fantastic to fly with and very accommodating and we'll be travelling with them again in the future. I recommend them to anyone travelling with their bird.

·
Administrator
59,672 Posts
Ariel,

It sounds as if Echo behaved like a little trooper :thumbsup: given all the unknowns thrown at him.

I appreciate you taking the time to give us a full reporting of the experience of traveling with Echo by air. I'm sure this will be very helpful to other members who may need to do the same with their bird at some point in time. :hug:

Hugs & Kisses to Echo
from
Pedro, Peachy and Poppy

·
Registered
533 Posts
Pleased all went well for you both...he may have sulked, but has flown higher and faster, then most other budgies, lol

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,707 Posts
It's good to know that you and Kuzco had a nice flight and he behaved well! :thumbsup:
From the look of things, he was the little star of the flight, since all the attendants wanted to see him and even gave your boy a treat to eat. :D

Reactions: FaeryBee

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone!

He was very jet lagged for about two days, something to consider if any of you plan to travel with your birds. It's a three hour time difference for us and he got really frustrated that it wasn't dark when he thought it should be and would wake up in the middle of the night thinking it was morning, etc. He was kind of depressed about it for awhile and even mad at me because clearly everything that goes wrong in his life is my fault :p but today, my co-workers (we're all being housed together) moved in and all the new people to meet snapped him out of it and now he's back to his normal silly self. All in all, the whole thing was a super positive experience. I travel a LOT for work and knowing he can handle it okay is a load off because I'll be able to bring him with me hopefully the rest of his life.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Wow, I felt like I was in one of Deb's Skipper and Scooter adventures!

That's pretty exciting Ariel. Echo did well by the sounds of it even though he is a 'drama queen' - I can relate, funny little critters. :)

I can't believe the flight attendants offered him pretzels and water. That's so cute. I'm so glad it worked out well for you both and that you can do it in the future.

I would love to take Paddington to Canada with me when I go on holidays but it's um .... 36 hours in transit and even I can't handle it. Imagine a poor little lovie. :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.