Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Super Moderator
He's beautiful, thanks for rescuing him from his previous environment. Unfortunately there is not one specific test for Aspergillosis and is often a process of elimination based on a compilation of various tests and is a difficult problem to treat. Based on what you said about his former home he could have multiple issues in the respiratory tract. I am not aware of any type of test kit that you could use, the best thing would be to have a gram stain done on a crop swab, that would reveal the bacterial count of gram negative and positive bacteria and any other nasties such as fungus or parasites that might be there, although it is not specific as to what bacteria or fungus might appear, you would need to have a culture done to determine specifics. Iodine deficiency is easily treated with a solution added to the water. Has the possibility of air sac mites been addressed, that would be treated with Ivermectin which is generally put on the skin between the shoulders but can also be given by injection. I understand how you feel about the stress of various procedures, I have been through many with my birds from bloodwork and x-rays to major and minor surgery and thankfully they have not had any bad outcomes from the procedures, it can sometimes depend on the skill of the person doing the procedure, although always stressful, a team that handles birds on a daily basis may be more skilled and can get things done fast.

Super Moderator
If he has been on antibiotics for a month you may have the wrong antibiotic to kill the bacteria or it maybe a fungal issue instead or in addition to a bacterial infection. I would have a gram stain test done on a crop swab and see what that shows. The lump you see may be material in the crop, if you are seeing an avian vet he/she should be able to tell by feeling the crop if it feels abnormal. If there is a sinus infection, which sounds possible because of the eye involvement and the rubbing of the face, a flush may help to remove debris but it will not cure the infection, ask the vet about drops for the eye. A culture may be needed to determine the best antibiotic for the bacteria, what have you been giving? Lugols iodine is used to treat goiter which is an iodine deficiency, ask the vet about using it, I would not go giving things that the vet has not prescribed, although vitamins would be fine.

Super Moderator
No it is not normal for pus and blood to come out, is he feeling any better? Is this an avian vet you are seeing? I am not familiar with Avipro.

Super Moderator
Enterobacteria refers to a group of gram negative bacteria, I am not familiar with Marbocyl is this a different antibiotic from what he had previously?

Super Moderator
I would ask the vet about the choice of antibiotic because a 2 week course is usually sufficient for most infections. If the vet suspects Chlamydiosis (Psittacosis), that requires at least a 45 day treatment with Doxycycline.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.