Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we got 2 budgies on Saturday and we are first time bird owners. Both are under 6 months old. I bought seed from the store until the Dr Harvery's Our Best Parakeet Food came in, and now that it did I mix it with the store bought seed for them each morning to get them used to it before eliminating the store bought seed. I started giving them food processed fresh broccoli and green beans a few days ago in the same bowl as the seed, generally on top of the seed to promote foraging and get them to eat some of the veggies. We are waiting for the Mash to come in before we start moving to pellets. What I am wondering is should the broccoli and green beans sit out for a bit so they are not as cold? We live in Buffalo, NY and it is very cold outside. Thanks for the advice.

· Premium Member
Not to disappoint other budgie owners, but I have the cutest, sweetest little bird in the world!
234 Posts
So we got 2 budgies on Saturday and we are first time bird owners. Both are under 6 months old. I bought seed from the store until the Dr Harvery's Our Best Parakeet Food came in, and now that it did I mix it with the store bought seed for them each morning to get them used to it before eliminating the store bought seed. I started giving them food processed fresh broccoli and green beans a few days ago in the same bowl as the seed, generally on top of the seed to promote foraging and get them to eat some of the veggies. We are waiting for the Mash to come in before we start moving to pellets. What I am wondering is should the broccoli and green beans sit out for a bit so they are not as cold? We live in Buffalo, NY and it is very cold outside. Thanks for the advice.
My LoVey prefers her veggies to be room temperature. I don't know if there are drawbacks to giving food cold out of the fridge. I can say, definitely, that you remove any seed that they veggies were sitting on. The moisture in the veggies will be transfered onto the seed and become a breeding ground for bacteria and fungus. Perhaps just a few seeds under the veggies so you're not wasting to much of the seeds when you discard it.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My LoVey prefers her veggies to be room temperature. I don't know if there are drawbacks to giving food cold out of the fridge. I can say, definitely, that you remove any seed that they veggies were sitting on. The moisture in the veggies will be transferred onto the seed and become a breeding ground for bacteria and fungus. Perhaps just a few seeds under the veggies so you're not wasting to much of the seeds when you discard it.
We dispose of all of it and replace it every 5 hours or so to remove any contamination, as I have two 4 pound bags of seed to last until the end of December where we will use less. This is to get them used to the house and food offered. I think we are going to just offer the veggies in the morning until they get used to it. We do not leave the veggies out all day, to keep it safe for our new family members. Everything is cleaned each time with warm water and paper towels for now, we have vet disinfectant for cleaning as well. This is still a learning experience for us so all advice is welcomed.

· Administrator
60,902 Posts
The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being.
Locating an Avian Vet

If you have mixed genders in one cage, please ensure you do everything necessary to prevent breeding.

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

I recommend you put refrigerated vegetables out on the counter for awhile before serving them to your budgies.

What have you named your new little friends?

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Additionally, please be sure to read the thread "Posting on the Forums" which is linked below.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

· Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you've gotten off to a great start with your little ones, and I'm sure they have a long and happy life ahead of them!

From the photo you posted, Stitch appears to be female. Could you post a photo of her taken in natural light to confirm?

As it does appear you have mixed genders, it is especially important to read the information above 👍 Please be sure to ask if you have any questions after reading through things~

I look forward to seeing more of them around here :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.