Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Crazy budgie lady
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother is going on holiday and so I have her budgies for the week. This means I can have a good look at Marcie. She has molted again and looks very strange, I've never seen anything like it! She is very dark almost black, opaline, yellow face, and has barring along her belly, is this normal for an opaline?? and what mutation could she be to be almost black? She has deep almost navy blue cheek patches, black tail, a lighter blackish/dark grey over her body almost merging with her bars, a deep greyish charcoal colour to her chest and belly, and along her belly and vent feathers ghostly barring, what on earth is she? my camera has gone awol but as soon as I can I'll get pictures up because you can't imagine what I'm seeing until you can see yourself but I've never seen anything like it, she's confusing the heck out of me!

·
Crazy budgie lady
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well my other half took some okish pictures with his phone, although they aren't entirely true to her colour as you can see quite a lot of blue in her in the pictures that you don't see in person, the first picture is the most accurate, and is what we see when we look at her. Looks like her tail may be a very dark navy colour but it looks black in person. The ghostly barring on her belly doesn't show in the pictures either but it's there. She's so dark :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
She sounds amazing! She could be an anthracite budgie, also known as black budgies, but they're very rare. And I have never seen one that is yellowface as well. Could you post a picture? That would really help determine the mutation.

Nicola

·
Crazy budgie lady
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering if her dark colour could be a mix of things, if she was mauve, two dark factors, and violet, also a darkening factor, with the yellow spreading through it as well, would that explain her colour? she does look darker in person, it's so hard to get an accurate idea of what this girl is like :p

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well she's definately Opaline and yellowface. I would say that she is an Opaline yellowface grey. But a very dark grey. She's not anthracite, they are literally black! She is very beautiful :)

Nicola

·
Crazy budgie lady
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Her baby picture, she was kind of plum coloured. If it helps I can get a picture of her next to a grey, he is light through as he is cinnamon.

Just looked up the anthracite budgies and yep, they are black all right! really black, wow, awesome :D

Attachments

·
Crazy budgie lady
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
These are better. With the cinnamon grey ****, a sky blue **** and sky blue violet or cobalt hen to compare. The sky blue **** is Marcies new bf, he's very attentive, I was told it was love at first sight, I can see how that would happen, they are very close :D

Attachments

·
Member of the Month August 2013
5,121 Posts
She sure is different. Apart from the obvious YF I was thinking grey too with a dark factor. It will be interesting to see what the experts say.

·
Crazy budgie lady
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny thing was, before her latest moult she was always a deep purpley colour, with a deep teal around her rump and vent. When I saw her this time I couldn't believe the change in her. I have had a good look at her and the barring on her belly is very obvious on her leg feathers. Each feather looks like a head feather but bigger, with faint but obvious barring. She didn't have that before either! I'm kinda stumped on this one. I'm on my way out but look forward to seeing the replies later. I'm wondering if this is what happens if you mix a lot of mutations in one bird or something, but I just don't know :eek:

·
Registered
46 Posts
She was a very pretty baby :) So far I also think opaline yf grey with a dark factor because I have a yellow face grey spangle and yours is much darker. But then mine is a yellow face type II double factor spangle which means that the yellow from her face has seeped into her wings and body colour as well. I'm a bit stumped as well as there seems to be like a mauve with the grey. She doesn't look like a normal grey colour.

Nicola

·
Crazy budgie lady
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She was a very pretty baby :) So far I also think opaline yf grey with a dark factor because I have a yellow face grey spangle and yours is much darker. But then mine is a yellow face type II double factor spangle which means that the yellow from her face has seeped into her wings and body colour as well. I'm a bit stumped as well as there seems to be like a mauve with the grey. She doesn't look like a normal grey colour.

Nicola
I know :s it's a dark grey, but not like we know a grey to be, odd how the camera picked up so much blue as well. Could her yf be type 2? would that explain it? You can see when compared to the others which are well known colours how different she looks, I know smokey is a very light cinnamon grey but even so his colour is uniform, his cheek patches grey, no blue at all. But does grey factor always totally block out their blue or is it possible for it to bleed through sometimes? I thought grey covered all blues but not greens? so a green series grey would be a grey green, but a blue grey just grey?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
She could be a double factor grey, I don't really know much about mutations though, so hopefully someone will come along soon who can tell you for sure :) They are all beautiful birds!

·
Crazy budgie lady
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
She could be a double factor grey, I don't really know much about mutations though, so hopefully someone will come along soon who can tell you for sure :) They are all beautiful birds!
Aren't they though :eek: it's made me want an exhibition budgie from Smokey and Sparkeys (the two cocks) breeder! He has champions, quite a well known guy apparently :eek: Smokey is the biggest fluffiest cutie pie I have ever seen! He keeps Julie out of trouble :p Must resist, temptation!!!!!!

Double factor grey, I'll look that up! Now I've put her in a different room I'm seeing some purple on her belly and vent area again, she's like a chameleon! :rolleyes: hmmm, now I think about it, maybe Smokey and Sparkys breeder would know? That might be an idea!

I think I've found it, one that looks just like Marcie did when younger, and if she is yf2 and it has spread that could account for the darkness on her chest and back? look on the link at a bird called 'Dusty', he even has the barring I was talking about near the legs and belly, and in Dustys photo it's quite clear :p

http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=93287

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.