Talk Budgies Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'd like to start this post by saying that I made a post a while ago about my budgie, Darwin. He had a yeast infection and unfortunately passed away on the last day of Febuary this year. This post is not about him, this is a new concern with my other budgie, Alex.

I noticed today that Alex had a very faint brown-looking spot in the middle of his cere. There's not really any flaking, and the spot doesn't have a well defined edge, it more so fades outwards it's also small, only a little bit bigger than his nostrils. I thought it was a little strange, so I did some research about what it could be. Many posts about this have been suggesting that cancer is one of the causes. I'm now quite worried, since a fair amount were reported by the poster to be cancer.

I'm hoping this might only be hormonal changes, as the spot is very hard to see, even if you go up close to him. Some posts were also suggesting iodine deficency is a cause. As for Alex's behavoir, he seems perfectly fine in every way. There's no visible lumps either.

I'll be calling the avian vet on monday since it's closed on the weekend to get an opinion. He has his check up coming up in June, but I may try to see if it's possible to see him any sooner.

If it's important at all, his diet consists of mostly seeds, but i've started to move him to a more pelleted diet. It's hard to tell if he's actually eating the pellets, but his food bin consists of mostly pellets by now so i'm pretty sure he's eating them. He also likes lettuce, I give it to him every 2-3 days.

I'd also appreciate if you could tell me if there is anything I could do to help him in the off chance it is actually cancer, and if surgery to get rid of it would be feasible.

·
Administrator
55,530 Posts
I wouldn't be overly concerned if the spot is as hard to see as you indicate.
It may well be nothing and you could be working yourself up and stressing out for no reason.
Taking Alex to the Avian Vet for a check-up and to discuss all your concerns is definitely your best option.
Remember that budgies pick up on your emotions so you want to remain relaxed and keep a positive outlook.
Hormonal Imbalances can often be treated and it sound like you are keeping a close eye on your little fellow to ensure he stays as healthy as possible.

Try giving Alex some different vegetables instead of only lettuce.

Safe Foods for Budgies

Do you have a mineral block containing iodine in his cage?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't be overly concerned if the spot is as hard to see as you indicate.
It may well be nothing and you could be working yourself up and stressing out for no reason.
Taking Alex to the Avian Vet for a check-up and to discuss all your concerns is definitely your best option.
Remember that budgies pick up on your emotions so you want to remain relaxed and keep a positive outlook.
Hormonal Imbalances can often be treated and it sound like you are keeping a close eye on your little fellow to ensure he stays as healthy as possible.

Try giving Alex some different vegetables instead of only lettuce.

Safe Foods for Budgies

Do you have a mineral block containing iodine in his cage?
Thank you for the advice. He does have a mineral block, but I don't know if it contains iodine. I have been pushing him to try more fruits and vegetables, unfortunately he is a very stubborn bird who really only likes lettuce, but I can get him to eat kale and other leafy greens usually.

·
Administrator
55,530 Posts
Other green leafy vegetables you can offer include:
kale
chard
collard greens
fresh beet greens
fresh mustard greens
fresh turnip greens
endive
romaine
watercress
fresh sprouts
chickweed and dandelion leaves (ensure they have not been chemically treated)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Small update: It's been a few days, and I've called the vet. She said that as long as Alex is acting normal, it's likely not a big concern. She said to keep watching closely and call if his behavoir changes. I started adding vitamins to his water and I will be trying to feed him some leafy greens soon. I don't think the brown spot has changed at all, it seems to be the same tint and size.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another Update: The brown spot doesn't really seem to have changed for better or for worse, however I noticed today that Alex seems to have a limp in his right foot. He can still walk and jump around fine for the most part, but he struggles to stand on that foot to scratch his head with his other, or to stretch his other leg. He only seems to have trouble putting pressure on the foot, he doesn't seem to have problems moving it around. I didn't notice any sores on the bottom of his foot. His behavoir is still very normal, he still loves to play and chirp, and his eating and drinking habits have not changed at all. I'm really not sure how to take this, since if it were a tumour, I don't think it would be suddenly affecting his leg like this. His vet appointment is coming up on the 28th of June, so i'm not sure if I should call the vet again to see if I can get him in sooner.

·
Super Moderator
3,325 Posts
Tumors can sometimes effect the leg which is usually because the tumor is causing pressure on the nerves to the leg/foot and it can result in lameness. The vet appointment is still 3 weeks away, I would try to move it up if at all possible.

·
Administrator
55,530 Posts
I agree with Cody. You need to get Alex into the vet as soon as possible.
Please be sure to update us on his condition and the vet's prognosis.
Best wishes. 💙

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it seems now that Alex's foot problem has mostly resolved on it's own, I was planning on calling the vet but it seems that it went away already. He's now able to stand on the problematic foot to stretch, scratch his head and clean other foot. Perhaps it was just a minor injury that he sustained. His nails are in need of a trimming soon since they are starting to get long again, so maybe he got his nail stuck on the carpet and he injured his foot. The brown spot is still on his cere, over time the past week it seems to have darkened, but I think it's starting to lighten slightly. It's hard to tell though. I'll see if I can send a picture tomorrow since the sun is starting to set and it'll be harder to get a photo in good lighting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts