Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cobalt Violet. Her colors are more vibrant than this, but so hard to capture on film. I am so excited about this little lady! :) She is all violet, not a spec of blue except her navy blue tail. Her cheek patches are a dark violet.

I would like to try for a yf type 1 opaline violet spangle violet. So would she go with a yf type one opaline spangle?

Another one I would like to go for is a double factor violet. What should I look for in a mate?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
she will be stunning! i love the visual violet against strong black normal markings.

a blue yf 1 spangle opaline **** should work to produce what you want.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
my 4 year old boy just saw the last photo of your chick and said

"thats a really, really cool budgie" in his matter of fact way!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
she will be stunning! i love the visual violet against strong black normal markings.

a blue yf 1 spangle opaline **** should work to produce what you want.

my 4 year old boy just saw the last photo of your chick and said

"thats a really, really cool budgie" in his matter of fact way!
That's so cute. Such a neat age to have kids at. :)

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
What a cutie...I love the colours :congrats:

Reactions: teasha

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Opaline spangle is very cool to see * * * BUT * * * it is not what the standard calls for in spangles. Should you show this bird there are judges (in the U.S.) who will turn back an opaline spangle just becuase of this.

I think adding yellow face to this spangle would be very pretty.

You know what else is breath taking?....a dark factor light green or a violet green spangle with good bulls eye necklace spots.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Opaline spangle is very cool to see * * * BUT * * * it is not what the standard calls for in spangles. Should you show this bird there are judges (in the U.S.) who will turn back an opaline spangle just becuase of this.

I think adding yellow face to this spangle would be very pretty.

You know what else is breath taking?....a dark factor light green or a violet green spangle with good bulls eye necklace spots.
So judges don't like the combo, that's too bad. It would be nice to show but I think they are quite far from me.

So you thing adding yf 1 to a violet spangle? That would be gorgeous!

Do you have any photos of a dark factor light green or a violet green spangle with good bulls eye necklace spots?

Also how would I go about breeding this girl to produce a df violet? I would want to darken the violet, not add any other color to it.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
To get a double factor violet you would need to mate your violet to another violet. The expected result from mating two single factor violets is 25% double factor violet, 50% single factor & 25% non violet.

You also have to consider the dark factor because the ones you want are cobalt violets. Mating two single factor violet cobalts together will produce 25% sky blue, 50% cobalt & 25% mauve. Of each shade only 25% will be double factor violet.

So the end result would be 12.5% double factor cobalt violet

If you had a sky blue single factor violet mated to a mauve single factor violet all the chicks would be cobalt which would include 25% double factor cobalt violet

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To get a double factor violet you would need to mate your violet to another violet. The expected result from mating two single factor violets is 25% double factor violet, 50% single factor & 25% non violet.

You also have to consider the dark factor because the ones you want are cobalt violets. Mating two single factor violet cobalts together will produce 25% sky blue, 50% cobalt & 25% mauve. Of each shade only 25% will be double factor violet.

So the end result would be 12.5% double factor cobalt violet

If you had a sky blue single factor violet mated to a mauve single factor violet all the chicks would be cobalt which would include 25% double factor cobalt violet
So I probably need another cobalt violet.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Recognizing a double factor violet when you have one is not always easy. I have a pair of cobalt violet spangles, the **** is definitely singe factor and I'm fairly sure the the hen is double factor but the **** is a deeper shade than the hen

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.