Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

this is my budgie raffaello.his parents are a blue and a green.I was told that they also had a "purple chick" so it makes me think that he could have a violet factor.i looked for some violet feathers near his feet but can't see any.i noticed though that his cheek feathers look purple(more than in photos),his feet are dark and some of his wing feathers look blue.could these things mean he has a violet factor?if i pair him with a cobalt hen can i get any violets?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
it is very hard to tell is a green bird has violet factors. The yellow base a green bird has will almost always cover violet. A bird can have a single factor violet meaning a violet tint or double factor violet true violet. The best way to breed violets is to breed two double factor violets together. Here is a link explaining the violet gene. http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#violet I would click on the details on violet factor genetics link if you want the break down of the genes.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Also to get the truest violet color I would breed sky blue birds with double factor violet. This way the violet is the most vibrant. You might be able to get violet chicks from pairing your bird with a cobalt hen but you probably will only get single factor violet chicks if any. I would pair him with a sky blue double factor violet hen to get the brightest violet hue. Even if you breed him with a violet hen most if not all of the chicks will be green. He would have to be carrying blue genes to produce violet chicks. I'm almost sure he is because he had a blue parent. Green is the most dominant color in the budgie world it covers everything. I would talk to Nev about this. Nev has the most information on genetics that I know of.

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
looks to be a normal opaline green. its hard to detect violet in a green budgie unless you breed him

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also to get the truest violet color I would breed sky blue birds with double factor violet. This way the violet is the most vibrant. You might be able to get violet chicks from pairing your bird with a cobalt hen but you probably will only get single factor violet chicks if any. I would pair him with a sky blue double factor violet hen to get the brightest violet hue. Even if you breed him with a violet hen most if not all of the chicks will be green. He would have to be carrying blue genes to produce violet chicks. I'm almost sure he is because he had a blue parent. Green is the most dominant color in the budgie world it covers everything. I would talk to Nev about this. Nev has the most information on genetics that I know of.
lots of great information.thank you very much for your advice!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it was a hen!

If he had a violet sister there is a 50% chance that he is carrying violet
I found out today that the "purple Chick" was a female.Now knowing that i have a 50% chance my budgie has a violet factor I can think about the hen.I'll go looking for a cobalt spangle hen so I'd get a large variety of chicks with my opaline ****(read that on one of your posts).Pairing it with my light green opaline I'd get greens,blues and possibly violets,they'd have 0 or 1 dark factors;normal males,spangle males,opaline females and opaline spangle females. I've learned quite a lot of things on budgies reading your posts.Thank you very much Nev.I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
If you want to find out if he has violet then you should not pair him to a violet. You should pair him to a sky blue. Since there will be no dark factor, and the hen will have no violet, you know that they will only produce light greens and sky blues. Any violet chicks or darker green chicks appearing will give you your answer.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
A cobalt spangle is a good choice and you should get a good variety of chicks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here's the hen

Hello everybody
I went looking for a cobalt spangle hen but the closest I could find was this hen.I need some help though.I'm pretty sure about her being spangle and her age(at least 8 months old) but I don't know if she is skyblue or cobalt.She looks very violet(the first picture is the most similar to her real colour).Is she single factor violet or double factor?She also has purple cheek patches and two small throat spots.I also noticed that she has some white feathers on her rump.Does that mean anything?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Your hen is a cinnamon spangle violet. As the cinnamon dilutes the body colour she could be either single factor violet cobalt or double factor violet sky blue. she should throw some beautiful chicks with your **** bird

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
great news

Your hen is a cinnamon spangle violet. As the cinnamon dilutes the body colour she could be either single factor violet cobalt or double factor violet sky blue. she should throw some beautiful chicks with your **** bird
I had no idea she was also cinnamon.I found what I wanted with an additional mutation.This means that the male chicks will all be split for cinnamon too.They may also carry violet as well.(think I got it right).I can't wait for them to breed.Thank you Nev.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
need some more help

Hi,i'd like to ask some more questions.I put my budgies together after 30 days of quarantine.they preen and feed each other continuosly.The hen sometimes chases the **** around the cage(don't get that) and there's a lot of head bobbing too.I'm eager to make them breed but will do so only if it's ok.I know the **** is about 17 months old but don't know about the hen.I bought her at a bird fair.she was in a cage with another **** and the seller said they were a pair and that she was born this year.(don't know how true that is because saying that they were a pair makes me think that they had chicks).She had white irises when i got her(you can see them in the other photos posted in this thread).Is there any way to tell if she's over a year old? My male bird is going through a moult,it's been a while so it should be over soon.Should I consider adding a nestbox?The other thing I wanted to ask is if my hen could be split for recessive pied?She has a very faint white spot on her head.I thought that being spangle and cinnamon makes the spot less visible.
Thanks in advance for your replies

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
She sure is a beauty. I am looking forward to seeing what the chicks look like.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thankyou dean and pal0m1n0.Today I found a large amount of white feathers.The hen may have started a moult too.She scratches her head and the male preens her back(only seen him preen her head til now).She also had a feather sticking out of her chest.I'll have to verify that in these following days and post a picture in 2-3 weeks.Can anyone tell me if she's split for recessive pied?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Yep, definately out of season as i thought. If she is moulting, she may not be ready now for another 6 weeks. Depends where she is in her cycle after finishing her moult.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
new picture

Hello everybody,
Here's a new picture of my pair.I noticed a different colour in the hens cere.I still find white fluffy feathers.Not sure who they belong to but I think they're the hen's.She also scratches her head too.Is she going into breeding condition?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.