Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have questions...

1) Can both single factor violet-cobalt normal male budgie and a single factor violet-factor normal female budgie produce double factor violet-cobalt normal budgie chicks ???

SF + SF = DF ???

2) If I breed the male violet-cobalt normal budgie to a female grey normal budgie, can they produce "violet-grey" budgie chicks ???
If violet-grey budgies existed...How can I tell which the violet-grey normal budgies and grey normal budgies ???

3) Can a double factor yellow-faced type 2nd mauve normal male budgie and a single factor violet-cobalt normal female budgie produce double factor violet-cobalt normal chicks and double factor yellow-faced type 2nd violet-cobalt normal chicks ???

4) Can a double factor yellow-faced type 2nd skyblue female budgie and a single factor yellow-faced type 2nd cobalt male budgie produce double factor yellow-faced type 2nd cobalt chicks ???

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Hi,
I have questions...

1) Can both single factor violet-cobalt normal male budgie and a single factor violet-factor normal female budgie produce double factor violet-cobalt normal budgie chicks ???

SF + SF = DF ???

2) If I breed the male violet-cobalt normal budgie to a female grey normal budgie, can they produce "violet-grey" budgie chicks ???
If violet-grey budgies existed...How can I tell which the violet-grey normal budgies and grey normal budgies ???

3) Can a double factor yellow-faced type 2nd mauve normal male budgie and a single factor violet-cobalt normal female budgie produce double factor violet-cobalt normal chicks and double factor yellow-faced type 2nd violet-cobalt normal chicks ???

4) Can a double factor yellow-faced type 2nd skyblue female budgie and a single factor yellow-faced type 2nd cobalt male budgie produce double factor yellow-faced type 2nd cobalt chicks ???
1) Yes.
2) Yes. I'm not sure you'd be able to tell as it would be single factored. Maybe someone else will know that.
3) No. You can't have a DF violet unless both parents have a copy of the violet and pass it along to the chick. Nor can you get a DF yellow face unless both parents have a copy of the YF gene.
4) Yes.

·
Registered
428 Posts

SF + SF = DF ???
Yes. If both adults have one violet allele, then some of their babies will get two violet alleles.

Yes you could get a violet gray budgie. I think most birds with even a single violet allele have some violet-tinged feathers.

A double factor YF2 parent and normal parent will produce 100% single factor YF2 babies.

A parent with no violet factors and a parent with one violet factor will not produce a double factor violet. Half the babies will be single factor violets and half will be normal. vv+Vv = Vv and vv

Yes.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi earthnut,
Thankyou for help.

But I do not know how to tell a violet-grey normal from grey normal, by colour of cheek patches and body colour.
Violet forms as violet-skyblue have purple colour in front of shoulder.

I have questions:

1) Can single-factor yellow-faced type 2nd skyblue normal male and single-factor yellow-faced type 2nd cobalt nomal female produce double factor yellow-faced type 2nd cobalt normal chicks ???

2) Can both single factor yellow-faced type 2nd skyblue normal male budgie and yellow-faced type 2nd skyblue normal female budgie produce single-factor yellow-faced type 1st normal chicks ??? (SF YF 2nd + SF YF 2nd = SF YF 1st ???)

My budgies I studied...see below

Single factor violet-cobalt normal body colour: pale Iris purple
Single factor violet-cobalt normal cheek patch colour: Imperial blue

Single factor violet-skyblue normal body colour: Deep Skyblue
Single factor violet-skyblue normal cheek patch colour: Imperial blue

Cobalt normal body colour: Brandeis blue
Cobalt normal cheek patch colour: Han purple

Skyblue normal body colour: Electric blue
Skyblue normal cheek patch colour: Han purple

Light green normal body colour: Harlequin green
Light green normal cheek patch colour: Han purple

Grey normal body colour: Cadet grey
Grey normal cheek patch colour: pale Slate grey

To help you understand colours, try Google Wikipedia List of Colours.

Attachments

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Hi earthnut,
Thankyou for help.

But I do not know how to tell a violet-grey normal from grey normal, by colour of cheek patches and body colour.
Violet forms as violet-skyblue have purple colour in front of shoulder.

I have questions:

1) Can single-factor yellow-faced type 2nd skyblue normal male and single-factor yellow-faced type 2nd cobalt nomal female produce double factor yellow-faced type 2nd cobalt normal chicks ???

2) Can both single factor yellow-faced type 2nd skyblue normal male budgie and yellow-faced type 2nd skyblue normal female budgie produce single-factor yellow-faced type 1st normal chicks ??? (SF YF 2nd + SF YF 2nd = SF YF 1st ???)

My budgies I studied...see below

Single factor violet-cobalt normal body colour: pale Iris purple
Single factor violet-cobalt normal cheek patch colour: Imperial blue

Single factor violet-skyblue normal body colour: Deep Skyblue
Single factor violet-skyblue normal cheek patch colour: Imperial blue

Cobalt normal body colour: Brandeis blue
Cobalt normal cheek patch colour: Han purple

Skyblue normal body colour: Electric blue
Skyblue normal cheek patch colour: Han purple

Light green normal body colour: Harlequin green
Light green normal cheek patch colour: Han purple

Grey normal body colour: Cadet grey
Grey normal cheek patch colour: pale Slate grey

To help you understand colours, try Google Wikipedia List of Colours.
Hello, again. To answer your new questions:
1) Yes. If a chick gets a copy of the YF2 gene from both parents and inherets the single dark factor from the hen, you should get a DF YF2 cobalt chick.

2)No. You have to have YF1 to get YF1.

As for the grey and grey violet. I don't know how to tell. The cheek patches would be the silvery/blue of any grey factored bird. I don't think the violet would affect the cheek patch color. And in the scenario you described before, the offspring could only inherit one copy of the violet adding factor and often times, you can't visually see violet in a single factor violet bird.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi theasset,
Thankyou very much for your help.

I have question: Do double factor violet-cobalt budgies have dark purple bodies ???

Is the female purple-bodied budgie in photo the double factor violet-cobalt normal ???

I only have three single factor violet-cobalt budgies, a violet-cobalt normal female, happily married to a double factor YF 2 mauve normal male, she had Royal blue body.
Other-a violet-cobalt normal immature male, and an opaline violet-cobalt juvenile female, they both are too young to breed.

If double factor violet-cobalt opaline budgies were to exist, they would be the only true purple budgies and are beautiful, but adding DF YF 2 or SF YF 1 to DF violet-cobalt = a purple bird with yellow face...DF YF 2 violet-cobalt and SF YF 1 violet-cobalt, will be beautiful & colourful birds.

Exuse me...If I pair the male DF violet-cobalt budgie to a SF YF 1 female skyblue, will they produce SF YF 1 violet-cobalt chicks ???

Another question...How I tell the goldenface from yellow-faced type 2nd ???

SF YF 1st have creamy yellow face
YF 2nd have canary yellow face
Goldenface have ???? orange ??? face

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
One of the parents has to have a YF1 allele to pass it on, however, phenotypically a bird can look like it's YF2 but be carrying a YF1 allele. So a bird could be YF2 YF1 and paired with a YF2 W (white body allele), its baby could be YF1 W.

Have you seen these yellowface punnett squares? http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae249/april8791/punnett squares/Yellowfacemap.jpg

Do double factor violet-cobalt budgies have dark purple bodies ???
I wouldn't call them dark purple, but they are a slightly more brilliant violet than single factor violet cobalt. I believe the they're the best purple you can get in a budgie. It is evidently hard to tell if a bird is single or double factor violet without having the single and double factor violets next to each other. There are good articles here about breeding violets: http://www.budgerigarassociation.org/articles.htm

Is the female purple-bodied budgie in photo the double factor violet-cobalt normal ???
I believe that photo has been computer-enhanced. I don't think there are any budgies that are that reddish.

If I pair the male DF violet-cobalt budgie to a SF YF 1 female skyblue, will they produce SF YF 1 violet-cobalt chicks ???
Yes you can get SF YF1, SF violet cobalts.

How I tell the goldenface from yellow-faced type 2nd ???
It's hard to tell YF2 and GF apart from each other without having two birds side by side. However GF is a darker, more golden yellow than YF2. It's not orange. Here's a good article about goldenface: http://www.budgerigarassociation.org/Articles/Goldenface2.pdf

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts

SF + SF = DF ???
If the parents are both single factor violet cobalt:
25% single factor violet cobalt
12.5% single factor violet mauve
12,5% single factor violet sky blue
12.5% double factor violet cobalt
6.25% double factor violet mauve
6.25% double factor violet sky blue
12.5% normal cobalt
6.25% normal mauve
6.25% normal sky blue
If they are both single factor they will produce:
25% normal
25% violet
25% grey
25% violet grey
The violet & grey will be added to at least two shades of blue depending on the dark factor of the hen

The violet grey chicks will be a deeper grey than the other grey chicks and they will have purplish cheek patches and navy blue tails. The normal greys will have silver or blue cheek patches and black tails. Violet grey can be difficult to distinguish from normal mauve or violet mauve.
No. The double factor of the yellow face is not related to the double factor of the violet
Yes. The expected result from this pairing is:
25% single factor yellow face cobalt
25% single factor yellow face sky blue
25% double factor yellow face cobalt
25% double factor yellow face sky blue

·
3,676 Posts
The picture of the violet budgie you posted in post No 6 has probably had the colour enhanced. If you look carefully at the background you can see that it is also slightly purple.

Here's an example showing how the same picture can be changed

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thankyou very much for your help.

The colours of bodies & cheek patches, centre tail feathers, of violet-grey forms, violet forms, need to be studied.

Lack of studying left the budgie breeders confused about which violet-grey and mauve or double factor violet-skyblue and cobalt or mixtures.

I will study the budgies I keep.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Nev90,
Do New Zealand have Goldenface budgies ???

I had never seen the GF budgies all my life as I only have four SF YF 1st and three SF YF 2nd and two DF YF 2nd. I do not know where to look for GF budgies in NZ.

You have to look in goggle...google Wikipedia List of colours, to understand the name of colours...etc skyblue have Electric blue colour on body.

If GF do existed, they could have colour of faces "Amber" (Look in google Wikipedia List of colours)

Strangest is despite past 150 years of domesticion, the red & pink & orange budgies do not existed yet on planet Earth, through budgies are related to lories & fig parrots, which had red & orange colours.

·
3,676 Posts
Hi Nev90,
Do New Zealand have Goldenface budgies ???

I had never seen the GF budgies all my life as I only have four SF YF 1st and three SF YF 2nd and two DF YF 2nd. I do not know where to look for GF budgies in NZ.

You have to look in goggle...google Wikipedia List of colours, to understand the name of colours...etc skyblue have Electric blue colour on body.

If GF do existed, they could have colour of faces "Amber" (Look in google Wikipedia List of colours)

Strangest is despite past 150 years of domesticion, the red & pink & orange budgies do not existed yet on planet Earth, through budgies are related to lories & fig parrots, which had red & orange colours.
Hi Clinton
Yes we do have golden face budgies in New Zealand. The yellow is brighter on the face but there is often confusion between the types.

I have found that most of the golden face birds that look good as babies will look like greens when they have gone through their first moult. Because of this I avoid them unless they are double factor which don't change as much.

Experts on genetics believe that red, pink and orange budgies will never appear because budgies do not have any red melanin to make these colours evolve

·
Registered
428 Posts
Experts on genetics believe that red, pink and orange budgies will never appear because budgies do not have any red melanin to make these colours evolve
Unless someone successfully crossbreeds a budgie with a red colored, closely related species (which has already been tried and failed) or someone genetically engineers a budgie. :D

·
Registered
428 Posts
I came across this interesting thread today: http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/index.php?showtopic=26306

Basically, if I understand right, a violet gray bird doesn't show any obvious violet feathers. When juvenile, the bird looks like a normal mauve. After the first molt the bird looks a little bluer than a normal gray.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
earthnut,
Thankyou for photoes of male violet-grey budgie.

I think...

Violet-grey have Rackley grey Body and Glaucous blue Cheek patches

Violet-cobalt have purple body and Navy blue Cheek patches

Grey have Cadet grey body and State grey Cheek patches

Skyblue have Electric blue body and Han purple Cheek patches

In skyblue & light green, the cheek patches which are Han purple, were bright in colour, while violet-cobalt have Navy blue cheek patches look very very dark, that they looked bluish black at 6 metres from you.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I have a Violet grey hen. It is very difficult to see the violet when you look at her, but if you put her next to a normal grey you can see the difference.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Look at her cheek patches...get a grey budgie and put with violet-grey budgie together and you will see the difference

I have a Violet grey hen. It is very difficult to see the violet when you look at her, but if you put her next to a normal grey you can see the difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.