Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I last posted pictures of Inko she gained a very purple looking area on her back. My camera died so I had to wait until I got a new one and in that time the purple has spread. Now she looks mostly purplish blue except for her tail which is teal. Is she violet or just cobalt? What is making her tail such a different color? The yellow face? Her brother, also yellow face, is the same way but he's just sky blue with a more green tail.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Usually violet factor may darken the normal body color,i can see the violet on the base of her neck,so inko may be a sky blue violet opaline yellow face type 1,because the yellow is just on her head and don't cover the rest of the body.

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
I would also say Cobalt as I am not seeing any Violet there. Generally Violet shows up well in pictures against a skyblue bird but I am not seeing it.

·
Member of the Month September 2011
7,747 Posts
Maybe the neck might be violet but I can't see any either apart from maybe the neck but I am not too good at mutations

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The color going around her neck and shoulders is what I see on all of her but her tail without camera flash. I tried my best to get the camera to not wash out the pic and played with various setting but I only accomplished turning the entire picture blue. :eek:

I plan to pair her with Ginrei who is the very light sky blue greywing so maybe we can sort out some of the genetics. See if we get cobalts and what happens when there is no yellow face. It'll be at least another 4 months plus however long it takes her to come in to condition so it may be a long time before I find out. I try not to think about it or impatients sets in.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
It does look colbalt but violet is the hardest colour to see on photos, I have 4 violets but you would never be able to tell from the pictures :S

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
It does look colbalt but violet is the hardest colour to see on photos, I have 4 violets but you would never be able to tell from the pictures :S
That's why I said if she sees that much violet then she is violet. Too bad it's so hard to get that color on camera, it is gorgeous!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I think your bird is a visual violet. That means it has the violet gene as well as one dark factor, in other words it is a cobalt violet. According to Cyril Rogers - he is the author of the book "The World of Budgerigars" - you can only see violet on a cobalt bird. Yes, the violet gene does change the brightness of all the other colour, including greens, but if you see a lot of violet it must be a cobalt. My opaline violet looks almost the same as yours on a photo so I believe that yours is a violet.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I think your bird is a visual violet. That means it has the violet gene as well as one dark factor, in other words it is a cobalt violet. According to Cyril Rogers - he is the author of the book "The World of Budgerigars" - you can only see violet on a cobalt bird. Yes, the violet gene does change the brightness of all the other colour, including greens, but if you see a lot of violet it must be a cobalt. My opaline violet looks almost the same as yours on a photo so I believe that yours is a violet.
Violet is a dominant gene so if you don't see it then the bird is not violet. You can see violet on a skyblue as well.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Violet is a dominant gene so if you don't see it then the bird is not violet. You can see violet on a skyblue as well.
this is true, however violet has the effect of altering the basic colour and the amount of alteration can vary. this means that on some colours and some individuals it can be very hard to tell that violet is actually present. generally itis very obvious on cobalts, but some mauves and greens can be a bit tricky to tell...

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
this is true, however violet has the effect of altering the basic colour and the amount of alteration can vary. this means that on some colours and some individuals it can be very hard to tell that violet is actually present. generally itis very obvious on cobalts, but some mauves and greens can be a bit tricky to tell...
True. True.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.