Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few keets that show violet hues but since a few of them are greywings (so the color is diluted), I'm finding it difficult to name the dark factor and SF or DF violet. Granted, violet is hard to capture by photograph, but what do you see?

"Polly", young greywing hen:

4-5 week old opaline spangle cocks -- their mom is the greywing pictured below. Dad is a DF yellow spangle:

"Hydrangea", mom to the above spangles, greywing opaline:

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Apologies in advance is my post does not make sense I am very tired lol.

But that first bird does not appear to be greywing to me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apologies in advance is my post does not make sense I am very tired lol.

But that first bird does not appear to be greywing to me.
Here's a back view of Polly, the first bird, shown next to a normal to show she's a greywing. Perhaps she's a full-body-color greywing... Would that make her a skyblue SF violet??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... and here's a picture of Polly (the greywing) with a few other birds, including skyblue pieds and a dilute greywing, to have something to compare her color with.

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Here's a back view of Polly, the first bird, shown next to a normal to show she's a greywing. Perhaps she's a full-body-color greywing... Would that make her a skyblue SF violet??
Ahh I can see the greywing now lol.

As for the violet I can not see it in the pictures but then again pictures rarely show violet.

The best way I have found of taking pictures of violets is to have them next to a skyblue or something skyblue in colour to show the difference.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh I can see the greywing now lol.

As for the violet I can not see it in the pictures but then again pictures rarely show violet.

The best way I have found of taking pictures of violets is to have them next to a skyblue or something skyblue in colour to show the difference.
True. Did you see the last photo of "Polly" eating kale with some skyblue pieds for comparison? What do you think when compared?

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
True. Did you see the last photo of "Polly" eating kale with some skyblue pieds for comparison? What do you think when compared?
Hmmm I don't see any Violet in that picture on any of the birds. She could be a cobalt. your best bet would be to ask tonic or nev on here as they are very good with mutations :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for looking, Amelia. It is hard to capture on camera. Friends (non-bird people) who see "Polly" and "Hydrangea" say they look lavender or "purplish". They definitely look different than my skyblues and cobalts but with the greywing mutation, I'm just not sure... I've read that SF violet skyblues rarely show the violet but instead, the violet factor darkens the color making it look like a rich cobalt, and DF violet skyblues are visually violet. So maybe they're SF violets, showing just a hint of violet but mostly with a darkened color.

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Thanks for looking, Amelia. It is hard to capture on camera. Friends (non-bird people) who see "Polly" and "Hydrangea" say they look lavender or "purplish". They definitely look different than my skyblues and cobalts but with the greywing mutation, I'm just not sure... I've read that SF violet skyblues rarely show the violet but instead, the violet factor darkens the color making it look like a rich cobalt, and DF violet skyblues are visually violet. So maybe they're SF violets, showing just a hint of violet but mostly with a darkened color.
I know exactly what you mean, I personally only have visual violets but I do know what you mean about the single factor and double factor.

Sometimes you can only tell the true colour in person, they may be violets but it is just not showing up in pictures lol.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
true,it s very difficult to capture violet color,but i think your polly is a sky blue greywing violet hen.It s maybe the violet color who gives dark color body,if it isn't, it s a cobalt full body color greywing clearwing.I m sure nev or tonic know solutions.to conclude they re all very beautiful,especially the dark green clearwing hen behind hidrangea!!I ve got the same marvellous dark green clearwing,i love them!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.