Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Optimus Prime
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is a lot of contradicting info on the internet about violet budgies, is it true:
that cobalts have ribbing which is really pale stripes on the feathers sort of like on the head feathers but not that dark but violets dont?
that all violets have turquoise at the base of their tail and in the flight feathes?
that violets have purple in their tail feathers?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Violet is a colour adding factor and not a colour in it's own right. If violet is added to cobalt it should be easily visable. If it is added to sky blue it can usually be seen by a purplish hue around the neck an a darkening of the sky blue. Adding violet to mauve or any of the green shades can be quite difficult to detect unless you are very experienced. Violet that is double factor will be a lot more vibrant than single factor violet

I doubt that the ribbing you describe has anything to do with the violet gene. I've never heard of violets having turquoise at the base of their tail feathers. Most dark shades of budgies have violet in their tail feathers whether they have a violet gene or not

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Im familiar with a lot of articles that state all these technical feathering details 'useful' in identifying violets, but to be honest I found they are no help at all. Looking for 'turqoise' in the tails or around the vents is a bit of a pot shot since birds can naturally range in coloration.

To be honest, I became better at identifying violets with time and experience. It just takes an eye and the BEST help by far is knowing your birds - I have a pure sky blue and a pure cobalt. Going from there i was able to identify my single factor violets with 'poor' violet colouration - they usually have a deeper blue and a purple hue around their necks. Violets with good colour are easy to identify.

My double factor violets are clearly PURPLE, not bluey purple, not slightly maybe purpley. They dont even really look blue, they are pretty much purple lol. I keep meaning to put up some pics and i'll try get around to it.

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
If it is added to sky blue it can usually be seen by a purplish hue around the neck an a darkening of the sky blue. I
so are you saying nev that when the violet factor is added to skyblue it turns lighter purple, or darker?

is lilac sky blue with the violet factor??

Attachments

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
so are you saying nev that when the violet factor is added to skyblue it turns lighter purple, or darker?

is lilac sky blue with the violet factor??
She has a violet factor but I'm not sure if it's double or single factor, or if her base colour is sky blue or cobalt. My guess would be double factor violet sky blue, but she could be single factor violet cobalt

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Im with nev. Its definately a violet, but because of the pied gene and the lack of coloured body feathers its very hard to gauge the depth of the base blue as well as the strength of the violet.

Going from the colour i can see and the feather type, i would say it is a double factor violet sky blue or a poorly coloured single factor violet cobalt. Cobalt is much less likely. A clearer photo taken in better lighting (not flash, just better lighting) would be of assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.