Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will be eventually posting pictures of:

Sky blue
Single Factor violet sky blue
Double Factor violet sky blue

Cobalt
Single Factor violet sky cobalt
Double Factor violet sky cobalt

I don't expect any mauves (whether violet or not) but if they crop up, I will show them as well.

For now I have some pictures demonstrating the difference between two chicks about 2 days difference in age. One is a Yellowface type 1 cobalt **** split for opaline, the other is a single factor violet cobalt **** split for opaline.

Here you can see the difference in body colour and tail feathers at this age - clearly visible differences in each.

Back feathers (tend to be richer in colour near the rump than the front body colour) and tail feathers (the tips of the YF1 cobalt are yellow, but the main colour remains the same as a normal cobalt)

Body colour at this pin feather stage without flash:

With flash:

Hope this helps! I will post more as soon as I get pictures (which may be next week).

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
i find it difficult to detect violet sometimes.
thanks dean:)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i have a very light violet & A darker violet... Cobolt?
Oh its still a little confusing as to which & where the
violet factors come in.

male deeper purple

female light violet

two on the right is above 2

all with flash

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Those are awesome pictures! They reallt show the differences. So if you have a sf violet cobalt the color will be this shade. But if you add other colors to that it would change the shade correct?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
That purple and yellow female in the last set of pictures just stole my heart... :love:

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have a very light violet & A darker violet... Cobolt?
Oh its still a little confusing as to which & where the
violet factors come in.

male deeper purple

female light violet

two on the right is above 2

all with flash
I added the pictures with and without flash to show you how it affects the colour and makes it difficult to judge accurately - with flash my cobalt appears as a sky blue colour and the violet appears more of a cobalt.

Going by your pictures, I would be inclined to say the first pic is a SF violet cobalt, but the other one is especially difficult given the flash and the fact that it is a spangle, which makes it impossible to tell dark factors using tail/wing feathers. It looks to be a normal cobalt to me but it's hard to say. Breeding records are very important with violets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.