Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Accidentally in love.
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!:) I have a quick question, how can you tell if a Cobalt budgie is also Violet? Is there some way you can tell without breeding them or do you need to breed them to be able to tell? (Sorry if that was confusing:p)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Violet is very hard to see on a green bird,but on a blue bird,especially cobalt,it is obvious.this is a picture of one of my chicks.opaline cobalt sf violet.Violet doesn't show much in pictures.In real life it's a much deeper colour.

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
A cobalt violet you should be able to tell by looking at them, they will appear purple. Some of the birds in my signature are violets, easiest ones to tell are frankie, pippin and isis.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I think you mean how can you tell the difference between a cobalt and a sky violet?
A sky violet will look cobalt, but in natural light there will be an irrodecent sheen across the rump/tail area.
Also if you breed the bird and end up with violet chicks, you have a violet bird. You can NOT get violets out of cobalts.

You might check the Budgerigar Association of America web site and see if they have Mike Rankin's article on Violets. Violets were Mike's speicality. He did extensive research on them. Sadly we lost Mike at the end of October, 2011.

·
Accidentally in love.
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Violet is very hard to see on a green bird,but on a blue bird,especially cobalt,it is obvious.this is a picture of one of my chicks.opaline cobalt sf violet.Violet doesn't show much in pictures.In real life it's a much deeper colour.
A cobalt violet you should be able to tell by looking at them, they will appear purple. Some of the birds in my signature are violets, easiest ones to tell are frankie, pippin and isis.
I think you mean how can you tell the difference between a cobalt and a sky violet?
A sky violet will look cobalt, but in natural light there will be an irrodecent sheen across the rump/tail area.
Also if you breed the bird and end up with violet chicks, you have a violet bird. You can NOT get violets out of cobalts.

You might check the Budgerigar Association of America web site and see if they have Mike Rankin's article on Violets. Violets were Mike's speicality. He did extensive research on them. Sadly we lost Mike at the end of October, 2011.
Thanks everyone!:) I'm sorry, the way I worded that was really weird and confusing...:giggle:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.