Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've read the article on here about Vitamin A but does anyone know how long it takes to fix a Vitamin deficiency? I'm going to the vet in a couple weeks to take my budgie to get his nails trimmed and a general check-up. I'd rather he was in excellent condition by the time he gets there. I just started to suspect he may have a vitamin A deficiency (he sneezes a lot and his cere seems a bit dry) but otherwise seems healthy and happy.

Now I'm giving him vitamin drops and trying more variety veggies, but I'm just wondering how long until he's not deficient anymore? Or do I need to go to the vet straight away to get him checked over and get medication (if he does have a vitamin deficiency) I don't know how serious it is, but that article freaked me out a bit! So I'm acting now. Thank you.

· Super Moderator
20,042 Posts
I would wait to see what the vet says~ colder weather (means drier air indoors) etc. can also cause dryness in birds as it does in people. While it's great that you're working on getting him introduced to new foods, you don't have to worry about trying to get him in tip-top shape before the vet visit as the vet will surely be able to answer your questions about potential nutrient deficiencies and prescribe the best course of action. As long as you voice your concerns with the vet s/he should be able to address them!

Best of luck at the vet's!

· Registered
2 Posts
It can take several weeks to several months for a vitamin deficiency to be corrected, depending on the severity of the deficiency and the individual bird. It's important to note that vitamin drops alone may not be enough to correct a deficiency, and a balanced diet that includes a variety of fruits, vegetables, and fortified bird seed or pellet mix is also important. It would be a good idea to consult with a veterinarian, who can perform a physical examination and check for any underlying health issues that may be contributing to the deficiency. And also, if you notice any signs of worsening or no improvement, you should consult a veterinarian as soon as possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts