Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vomiting Budgie

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  FaeryBee 
#1 ·
Hey all,

So this morning straight after breakfast Echo went back up into her cage and started vomiting. She continued for about 10 minutes. when she stopped she made her way to the bottom corner of the cage and puffed up, and not wanting any touch (which she usually loves). She had a 15 minute nap.
I took her to the vet and they did poo test which came back normal, however she noticed some undigested seed in there. She did physical exam and everything normal other than her chest muscles seemed to be small.
She also did blood tests and her protein came back low (11). She basically left me saying she has no idea what’s wrong and we will need to do further tests (but not today cause too much stress) and it is going to cost an arm and a leg. She gave her an anti-nausea injection.
since coming home she has perked up and seems to have more energy but I’m still very worried. The vet told me to keep her in a warm dark place where she feels comfortable.

please let me know your ideas or anything I could do to give her the best chance of healing.

she usually eats chopped veg (carrot, broccoli, Capsicum, beetroot, apple) with seeds mixed in at about 10:45am and then a bit more recently, vita blend (small bird) with seeds at about 4:30pm. And millet throughout the day with training. She seems to only eat the seed.

thanks,
Carly

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey all,

So this morning straight after breakfast Echo went back up into her cage and started vomiting. She continued for about 10 minutes. when she stopped she made her way to the bottom corner of the cage and puffed up, and not wanting any touch (which she usually loves). She had a 15 minute nap.
I took her to the vet and they did poo test which came back normal, however she noticed some undigested seed in there. She did physical exam and everything normal other than her chest muscles seemed to be small.
She also did blood tests and her protein came back low (11). She basically left me saying she has no idea what’s wrong and we will need to do further tests (but not today cause too much stress) and it is going to cost an arm and a leg. She gave her an anti-nausea injection.
since coming home she has perked up and seems to have more energy but I’m still very worried. The vet told me to keep her in a warm dark place where she feels comfortable.

please let me know your ideas or anything I could do to give her the best chance of healing.

she usually eats chopped veg (carrot, broccoli, Capsicum, beetroot, apple) with seeds mixed in at about 10:45am and then a bit more recently, vita blend (small bird) with seeds at about 4:30pm. And millet throughout the day with training. She seems to only eat the seed.

thanks,
Carly
Does she get the tiny stones to help digest? I don’t know the word for it in english but in Dutch its Grit

#5 ·
Actually, grit is dangerous for budgies. Other birds do not hull (take the shell off) their seeds and may have different needs. However, parrots, including budgies, do remove the seed husks and should NOT be given grit. It can cause crop impaction and injury if ingested.
Please read this thread for more information:

#7 ·
As StarlingWings has indicated budgies should not be given grit. Was it an avian vet that saw her? Undigested seed in the droppings is an indication of a problem in the GI tract, when I hear this my first thought is Avian Gastric Yeast (AGY) although there are other things that can cause it. With AGY the organism does not always show up in a test on the droppings so just because it did not appear in the sample does not mean it is not there. Here are a coupe of articles about it Avian Gastric Yeast, Avian Gastric Yeast

#10 ·
As StarlingWings has indicated budgies should not be given grit. Was it an avian vet that saw her? Undigested seed in the droppings is an indication of a problem in the GI tract, when I hear this my first thought is Avian Gastric Yeast (AGY) although there are other things that can cause it. With AGY the organism does not always show up in a test on the droppings so just because it did not appear in the sample does not mean it is not there. Here are a coupe of articles about it Avian Gastric Yeast, Avian Gastric Yeast
hi thank you so much for your comment.

it was an exotics vet but she did seem to have a fair bit of experience with birds. She did give me a lot of information about issues that could be wrong but didn’t know for sure she said she would need to do advanced bloods (but this would require more blood and could be dangerous for a budgie of her size) and possibly an x ray. The advanced bloods would cost $180! She did poop and basic bloods and she said there was no presence of bacteria or infection but the test she did could not pick up viruses as they are too small. Red and white blood cell counts normal. I really don’t want to pay for more bloods as I have already spent over $250 on vet bills and much more on supplies for this little one and I have only had her for 2 weeks. I love her to pieces but I can’t justify it. Is it dangerous to treat her for AGY if she does not have it? Thank you so much!

#13 ·
UPDATE

I brought some more poop to the vet and she said still no evidence of AGY or abnormalities. She still gave me anti-fungal meds to give to Echo.
This is her third day on the meds and she seems to be recovering very well. A lot more energy and poop looking healthy (no seeds or significantly less).
Her tail is bobbing quite a bit though so I’m not sure if this is something to worry about or not?

Thank you for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.