Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 8 years, my lovely budgie Pippin died in January, and I couldn't stand the quietness of the house so I went to a local breeder to get more birds. I asked for two boys, hoping that they'd get on, and that's what she said I was getting (they were about 8 weeks old at the time) but now it's a month later and I suspect I have a boy (the blue one) and a girl (the yellow). Can anyone confirm?

A related question - at first the two of them got on very well but in the last week or two Ofeefee (the yellow) has developed a warning little trill that (s)he uses pretty frequently when Sashiko (the blue) comes near, or is feeding when (s)he wants to eat, etc. Sometimes they're still harmonious and I've seen them still grooming each other, feeding each other, etc but it seems more often fractious than friendly and that makes me sad. What are the odds of them calming down and being friends again, if indeed I do have a boy and a girl instead of two boys?

Thanks for any advice. As I mentioned above, I had Pippin for 8 years but he was a single bird so pairs are new to me :) Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,995 Posts
Hi, first off, that picture of your babies is adorable!

I'm leaning towards these both being girls, but the picture isn't the best. If you could get a front shot on the beak area with no flash in natural daylight it would be easier to say for certain.

If you have a boy and a girl, they could get on very well. If you have two boys, things will likely be fine, two girls might be trickier.

How large is the cage they are in?
Making sure they have enough space might help, and try and give them duplicates so they don't bicker over silly things- two food pots, two water pots, two perches the same height etc.

If they start to show aggressive behaviour towards one another, you will have to house them in their own cages. They can be close to one another so they won't be lonely.

·
Member Spotlight Award March 2016
1,887 Posts
Greetings welcome.hmm I'm not sure on this,but the lighting it looks like the opposite.the yellow looks male and the blue looks female.I can see white around it's cere or nostrils.hard for me to say.but I'm sure someone can see it better.as far as the bonding of the 2,sometimes they will have there moments when one wants to be left alone at times.it's common with budgies and unless it gets bad like they're fighting,you shouldn't have to worry about it much.have they been through the quarantine before you put them together?it's important.birds can hide illness for 2 weeks or so.and 45 days is usually the standard time for quarantine.I'm sorry for the loss of your beloved feathered friend.I wish you well and blessings.feel free to ask any questions.we have many wonderful folks on here to help you out:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
PS I've reviewed a ton of threads and articles about cere colour and ended up more confused than when I started, but I think there's a possibility that Sashiko's a girl as well. His cere is bluer than Ofeefee's (which is pale blue in some lights but mainly white) but he has white around the nostrils. The photo was the best I could get but I know he's a little in shadow so it's not that easy to see. Again, thanks for any responses :)

Hi, shanebudgie, thanks for your response! I was writing my PS as you were posting so sorry I didn't see your response first.

I bought them from the same breeder on the same day and they'd been living in the same cage together so I didn't quarantine them. I brought them home in a tiny little travel cage (bought new on that day; I knew with two I'd want a second cage in case of sickness, etc) and left them in it for a day or so but then moved them to the bigger cage, which had been Pippin's (I cleaned it out very thoroughly before putting them in it, and I'm pretty sure he died of liver issues and age, so there wouldn't have been anything contagious in there anyway).

Thanks for your condolences. After 8 years I knew everything Pippin did and what every squeak and movement meant and I still miss him like crazy. He was a little singer and oh, how I miss the singing! Sashiko squeaks when he's contented so I hope that might turn into singing over time.

Thanks again for your response!

·
Member Spotlight Award March 2016
1,887 Posts
:) you are most welcome.I too miss my old Bird friends,so I recently gotten a female named Gracie,she is a joy in my life.she's already made me her flock lol.she chips at me and goes crazy when I walk out the room .well that's great you got them together.atleast from the same breeder and family perhaps.I wish you many happy years with your sweet loving budgies.and blessings always.:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Therm, thanks for your response! Wow, I missed TWO messages when I was typing my PS; that will teach me to post everything I want to say all at once ;)

Yes, I'm worried that if they're two girls they'll never settle down. I guess time will tell.

That photo is using natural light; it's a pretty strong sidelight but I didn't want to turn on the overhead light or use a flash. I'll see if I can get another but in the meantime here's one from when we just got them. You can see how much bluer Ofeefee's cere was a month ago! Again, Sashiko's the one in shadow so I don't know if it's much better.

Attachments

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
Welcome back to the forums and congratulations on your new budgies! :)

From that first pic, it really seems that you have two young females.
The one on the right (yellow/green budgie) is definitely a girl. The cere on the budgie on the left also appears to have a lot of white colour, especially above the nostrils, if that is the case, then she is also a girl.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hi Therm, thanks for your response! Wow, I missed TWO messages when I was typing my PS; that will teach me to post everything I want to say all at once ;)

Yes, I'm worried that if they're two girls they'll never settle down. I guess time will tell.

I have two girls and they get along very well! of course.. I had to make sure I have two of EVERYTHING and they need more space because they are territorial. The only time they seem to argue is at night when they both want the perch the other is on for sleeping :giggle: .. which ever one of them loses.. they end up clinging to the cage next to the perch and I wake up in the morning and they are both on the perch together.. must sneak their way down once the other falls asleep.. they are so funny

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi lacey, thanks for that reassurance! They're both sleeping quite happily right now so maybe harmony is possible. And they've always had separate sleeping places at night - Ofeefee likes the swing and Sashiko likes the perch - so maybe they can be together without problems. I'll have to look into getting duplicate items... ho hum.

·
Administrator
55,917 Posts
From the pictures, they both appear to be female to me as well.

The bigger the cage you can house them in, the better.
Giving them as much room as possible allows them to each have their own space when they don't feel like being around the other.
Many females can get along just fine, so hopefully yours will be two that do. :fingerx:

They are both just as cute as can be! :love:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks; they are so sweet, aren't they?!

I have what I would consider a medium to large cage; it was plenty big enough for a single bird and I was intending to have two boys so I thought there would be fewer issues with space and boundaries. I'll look into something bigger but it hangs from the ceiling in a specific space so I don't know how much bigger I can go.

I'll definitely start to get them used to having two of things and see how they go.

Do you think the breeder just didn't care enough to give me what I asked for or genuinely was mistaken? They have TONS of different birds, including lots of budgies, so I'd be surprised if they just didn't know their own business but I just don't know...

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,995 Posts
Some people that call themselves breeders have little knowledge of birds and are more interested in making money. But one of your birds was looking very blue when you first got her so it could easily have been a genuine mistake as well. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
What cute little chubs <3 <3 <3 I hope they end up getting along well! It's so much fun to watch two birds snuggle and preen each other. My two mainly got along, but I had to add a few of the short perches to the "bedroom" of the cage so they each could pick where they wanted to sleep.

·
Super Moderator
18,238 Posts
Hi Kathryn and :welcome: to the forums!

What gorgeous little girls you have! You've been given great advice and I hope they get on well :fingerx:

It sounds like you're well prepared to give them a loving home, and I'm sure they would love a bigger cage when you're able to get one!

I agree with Therm that it may have been a genuine mistake--some people who breed still are unsure on telling the gender of young birds--or they really didn't care. Either way, I'm happy your girls ended up where they are now :D

Be sure to read through the links provided and if you have any questions afterwards, don't hesitate to ask as we'd love to help ;)

Be sure to post lots more pictures, if you can--we'd never say no to more cute budgies :love:

Hope to see you around! :wave:

·
Member of the Month November 2014
3,192 Posts
Hi Kathryn! Your girls are just stunning!

I have 3 girls myself, all housed in one cage, and they seem to get along ok. They all have one spot in particular that is cause for bickering, and what Lonny and I call, machine gunning. They make this noise and it's almost like they're trying to imitate a machine gun shooting. I always say when they do that, they're trying to start a budgie massacre, :giggle:

For the most part though to get along fine!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.