Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after Amphotericin B, Metronidazole, medicine from Germany, using the vet, 9 months and roughly $650 later, Wasabi is scarily healthy. I've never seen him so strong. His chirping in the morning is so loud, when he flies he can beat his wings super hard and dart around like a hummingbird. It's amazing. His entire appearance has changed too, he no longer looks bloated and gassy, his eyes are always alert, when I wake him up in the mornings now, he's standing proud and constantly moving his head about checking things out. Diarrhea is nonexistent.

Guess what made him better? $20 and a backalley bird doctor (zero credentials)... I was feeling so hopeless because I was seeing Wasabi fall back into illness despite everything I'd done. I reached out to this guy as I got his number from someone on reddit. He delivered Oxytetracycline and Florfenicol to my door with his pet bird chilling on top of his cage in the passenger seat, and I was interrogating him on how he knows this is the medicine that will finally work, as I was worried he was just throwing anything my way. He told me he's been looking after birds in this country for years, and it's from experience. He was able to look at Wasabi's poop and I guess he knows the common diseases that go around.

I was told to put Wasabi on Oxy first for 5 days, and then Florfenicol 5 days following (if he didn't improve). Literally the very next day on Oxy Wasabi was already heaps better, it was insane progress, I'd never seen something work so well. We're on day 4 now, and my goodness. It's like he's not the same bird at all. He blasted out of the cage doors this morning and did some laps around the room, got Chick all excited too. Then they did some laps together (he's back to initiating it! Flock master!). Followed by some extremely loud chirping. He's gorgeous, and I'm just so relieved that something has finally worked for good, I'm not having to lie to myself by saying "it takes time".

So yeah, oxytetracycline cured him of whatever he had. Guess it was never AGY or Candida after all. That vet lady I was using, she made me upset. I think for her it was more about charging me than it was about truly helping. Even her replies eventually became low effort yet she'd still charge me money for the tiny feedback. Ah well. It's all worth it as he's now finally better.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention the best part about this oxytetracycline is I'm able to dissolve it completely in 330ml of water, and it stays suspended in solution all day. So I've got him in his own cage throughout the day with the medicated water, and he sleeps at night with Chick. The medicine from Germany would constantly settle, so I'd have to mix it over and over to make sure he gets it. I just feel awful for putting him through Ampho and Metronidazole for no reason.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Wow. What a story. i never even knew there was such a thing as a 'back alley bird doctor' and I'm happy to know such people exist. And really happy to hear he was so effective.

Has Wasabi had unfiltered apple cider vinegar (ACV) in his water from time to time? I have found it to be an effective preventive for gastric issues. (For humans too!) It also has probiotic properties so would be especially beneficial to a bird that's been on a lot of antibiotics and may need to have his beneficial bacterial gut flora restored.

·
Super Moderator
18,898 Posts
Agreed with the above by wmcburke! Probiotics are great especially as a preventative measure against future issues. I'm so glad to hear that Wasabi is finally feeling better. What a relief. 💚

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'll put him on ACV from now on just to make sure this never comes back. Also putting probiotics in their food regularly. Gonna have them be the healthiest they can be.
Just in case you are unfamiliar with using ACV, make sure it's unfiltered and clearly states on the bottle "with the mother." 'The mother' is the bacterial culture that ferments vinegar. Bragg's is the brand of choice and is commonly available in supermarkets and health food stores. Shake the bottle well; the mother tends to settle on, and stick to the bottom of the bottle. Start with a weak solution of 1/8 teaspoon per 8 oz of water and slowly work your way up to 1/2 teaspoon per 8 oz water. There are some vets who even prescribe a higher dose, but the above should serve the purpose.

·
Administrator
57,862 Posts
Just in case you are unfamiliar with using ACV, make sure it's unfiltered and clearly states on the bottle "with the mother." 'The mother' is the bacterial culture that ferments vinegar. Bragg's is the brand of choice and is commonly available in supermarkets and health food stores. Shake the bottle well; the mother tends to settle on, and stick to the bottom of the bottle. Start with a weak solution of 1/8 teaspoon per 8 oz of water and slowly work your way up to 1/2 teaspoon per 8 oz water. There are some vets who even prescribe a higher dose, but the above should serve the purpose.

wmcburke is correct. Here is the link to our article regarding ACV

Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much for the dosage info. Yes, I was going to get the good ACV, my mother used to tell us about it all the time and talk about how important it is to get natural and unfiltered ones with the mother 😅

I love having Wasabi back. Just got in from work and walked in to see him fighting with his toys and chewing through his little wooden log chewable toy. He's also far more gung-ho about eating from his mineral block and cuttlebone. He's more hummingbird than budgie at the moment, when he wants to go somewhere, he goes with a vengeance. I think he spent so long sick, it feels good to have strength back, and he'll zip around wherever he wants.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, update, Wasabi is 100% out of the woods. My biggest worry these days is trying to find his off switch. He's constantly hyperactive 😂 cage door open, he'll tear through it, zip around the room, land on my head and forage, helicopter down to my shoulder, tousle with my earlobe, squawk, take off really fast back into the cage, do a few loop de loops on the rope perch, whistle our family tune (which is basically just a catcall), rinse and repeat about a bajillion times.

I love that he's better, I love that he's always hyper. It's absolutely exhausting though! I've noticed Chick doesn't bully him as much these days, or if they do scuffle, he's able to hold his own and Chick backs down and they go back to relaxing.

Look at my gorgeous boy. The cage is never quiet these days, either from his singing, or him constantly flying aggressively between different perches. I think he's just so happy to have his strength back, he's been sick since he was a wee little thing and didn't have much flight experience. So he's probably just revelling in his newfound flying strength and abilities.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts