Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the thing, :eek:

Im starting to realize that my 5 baby budgies are going to have little to no color differences, and other than being male and female i will have no way of telling the difference between them when they get all their feathers/color in.

So in preparation of having all female or all male or 4 female 1 male or 4 male and 1 female and on and on and on.....:rolleyes:

Any tips on how to tell the difference between the babies?:S

·
Budgie
1,430 Posts
In that case. I would take photos of each baby with head shots. So you could see their cheek patches. My clutch was all different and I had 6 in them. So i told them apart from their markings. If a few have the same, check their feet or something. One might have darker feet/nails than the other. I did that before too. I hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Personally, With my Green cheek conures they were very hard to tell
apart until I knew them better. I used leg bands for gender DNA and it
also helped to know which was which. I could tell them by age for a while, but once all feathers were though it was hard.

I eventually knew their personality, and their markings on their belly.
But they still had leg bands, which is a great idea. I could also tell my females for some reason seemed to have different shaped eyes :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do i do the leg band thing? where would i get the bands?

So do all budgies have different cheek patches? i never noticed that

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
If you interact with them a lot you will see the differences. Parents of identical twins can always tell them apart.

Leg rings for budgies are available at most pet shops. You will need to get the split type because the solid rings have to be put on when the chicks are small

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
How do i do the leg band thing? where would i get the bands?
Closed bands are put on chicks when they are 5 to 14 days of age (depending upon the species). The ankle bone is small enough for the band to slip over easily. This is to prove the year the chick was hatched in.

L&M LEG BANDS
P.O. Box 2943, San Bernardino CA 92406
PHONE: (909) 882-4649 FAX: (909) 882-5231
E-mail: [email protected]
Web site: home.earthlink.net/~lmbird/

and

RED BIRD PRODUCTS
P.O.Box 376 Mt. Aukum, CA 95656-0376
PHONE: (530) 620 - 7440
Email: [email protected]
Web site: www.redbirdproducts.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts