Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am devastated... He flew out of the door. I was getting into the back yard and he flew onto my head and through the door. I was so stunned...:crying: I am seriously starting to think that I totally suck as a bird owner... This happened to me before, but we luckily found him.
We searched the area, put up the notices, put up an ad on Craigslist and contacted the local vet.
I am so afraid that this truly may be the end of my Tony:(:(
Right behind our backyard there is a slope, a road, and then woods....
I can't believe he is gone...

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,707 Posts
Oh my god, I'm so sorry to hear this very shocking, terrible news...:(
I'm sending my prayers in hopes you will be reunited with your boy once again. :pray:
Hugs to you in this very difficult time, I hope Candy is okay under the circumstances. :hug:

·
Member of the Month April 2014
3,537 Posts
So sorry to hear that Tony flew away, Dee.:( How big is the nearby woods area? It may be possible that he's settled on a tree, so maybe your family can form a search party for him around that area. Hope he also flock calls to give you a beacon of where he is. That's how I was able to trace my first tiel who also flew away from us once. Hope Tony is okay and returns to you safely soon.:hug:

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So sorry to hear that Tony flew away, Dee.:( How big is the nearby woods area? It may be possible that he's settled on a tree, so maybe your family can form a search party for him around that area. Hope he also flock calls to give you a beacon of where he is. That's how I was able to trace my first tiel who also flew away from us once. Hope Tony is okay and returns to you safely soon.:hug:
This is northern Georgia. It's hilly and the trees are huge :crying::crying:
I am losing my hope...
He is the best bird, so funny and so tuned into me. We have had such a great bond... I am wondering if he was upset with us getting a puppy and not giving him enough attention:(

·
Member of the Month June 2015
2,460 Posts
Oh Dee that's awful I'm so so sorry. I can't imagine how stressful this is for you.
Don't beat yourself up though you definitely do NOT suck as a bird owner - you are a great bird parent. These things unfortunately happen sometimes. Try to keep positive - you got him back before. Perhaps also call the local schools and make them aware as one of the kids may find him.
Praying that Tony returns safely to you :hug:

·
Super Moderator
19,684 Posts
Dee, I'm devastatingly sorry that this happened. I can't imagine how you must be feeling!
We all love Tony here, too, and are praying for his swift and safe return.
Please, please don't be hard on yourself. I know that after the loss of little Hector and now Tony's escape, you may feel like you're doing something wrong. But the truth is, everyone has an accident, and you just happened to be burdened with more than usual. It was an accident and it was NOT your fault, Dee. Please feel better and keep us posted, okay?
I'm sending you lots of hugs and best wishes. :hug:

·
Administrator
59,672 Posts
:hug: Dee, I'm so very sorry to hear that Tony escaped.
Please try to stay positive. There is a very good chance you will get him back since he is so bonded to you. I'm sure you and your family have been out walking in the woods, calling for him. Contact as many of the local shelters as possible as well if you haven't already done so. Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers for Tony's safe return.

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,333 Posts
We

It is a real bummer to have Tony Fly. Praying for his safe return. Use this event to introduce your family to your neighbors and show them a picture of Tony on a flyer with all contact info and his leg band number. The new home
is stressful and confusing for everyone. Be sure the kids know how to get home and have contact info on them. I felt terrible when we lost Chubby. Sending prayers for a safe return to you or a safe home for Tony. Stand still and take stock for everyone in the house and reset safe procedures that were in place in the old home. We have screen curtains so the birds cannot get to an outside door and it reminds adults to stop and check. Collections Etc has great screen curtains on rods for 9 to 12 dollars. Even sheers help stop the birds getting near outer door. Warm weather will provide food sources but watch for cats etc. This is a mistake. Please do not beat your self up. Spend your energy doing positive things like asking neighbors for help. Blessings, Jo Ann:hug::hug:

·
Registered
37,335 Posts
Dee, please don't blame yourself, you are one of TB best and most reliable members to follow advice and seek reassurance when not sure.
Tony just saw an opportunity so he took it. Stay positive, keep looking place Candy outside whenever possible he might hear her. Walk around as I am sure you have been. We are all praying for a safe and happy return of Tony soon.:hug::pray:

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your kinds words...
I spent over an hour this evening walking around the large residential area in which direction I thought he might have gone. Cried my eyes out to a poor guy who happened to be in his front yard watering the bushes.
At this point, it would really be a miracle if he showed up. There are just too many tall trees, too much wilderness around. Saw a hawk and a cat while walking around :crying: made me feel even worse.
I feel awful, like I lost a very close friend. Because that's what he is to me...:(:(
I know people think it's just a bird, but he was not only a bird...

·
Wing Commander
1,778 Posts
Hey now - we all know there's no such thing as "just a bird", we feel for you, and we're here for you. :grouphug:

A couple other things to consider:

* Facebook lost pets in your area - there are many pages set up in communities to share and report lost pets. This would be a good option.
* parrotalert.com - may be worth an entry there as well, as rescues often look there.
* It's worth having a read of a story of a successful lost and found like this one, just to get an idea of how far a bird can get: Trained Parrot Blog - Cape Parrot Lost and Then Found - Full Story (also amazing to read in the comments the way people prank call numbers in fliers! Awful, but good to be prepared.)

·
Member of the Month June 2014
10,305 Posts
Dee I am so very sorry that Tony got out again... He is a tough little bird I am sure he will come home or maybe someone will find him and bring him back to you.... Dee people are so wrong when they say he is just a bird they are our world and part of our family.. I have had this said to me heaps of times they say he is just a bird I say no to whoever says it to me they are like our little children... Indigo means the world to me to I love him so much... Never think he is just a bird he is your life same with me and Indi...
Never give up hope I am sending you my prayers and hope Toby will come back to you... You are not a bad mum it was an accident..... Indi sends you a kiss...

·
Member of the Month June 2015
2,460 Posts
Big Hugs
I know there’s very little I can say to make you feel better and ease your stress. Our pets are not just objects like some petless people seem to think – they are our whole world and are loyal companions. The pain of losing them is severe and real and you should never ever have to apologise or feel inadequate about caring for them, loving them or grieving for them.
I really hope Tony turns up for you and that you are reunited with him soon. As AnnMarie said, there are plenty of success stories out there and you have also experienced success with him in the past.

·
2014 MEMBER OF THE YEAR
4,205 Posts
I just saw this! Dee I am so sorry this happened...
Now I wish I was close so I could try to find him, really! First of all, you're not an irresponsible owner, this was a bad accident! It has happened to me more than once..
And you hit a very sensitive spot.. birds are our friends, members of our family and not only birds! They are "friends for life" and our lives become more charismatic when we own pets and we are friends with them!
I really hope Tony will return to you.. Keep looking for him with your family and friends.. hopefully he will appear..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.