Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! We have owned these two lovely budgies since they were 6 months old. We named the green bird Elvis, as we are under the impression that he's a male due to his size and behavior when compared to Francesa, the smaller blue bird. They are now both about 1.5 years old, have not reproduced and it seems everyone in our family is confused about the cere coloring (and I have red/green colorblindness so that doesn't help -- to me Elvis looks yellow). Francesa the blue bird is much more vocal and aggressive, always chasing Elvis around while he mostly just chills and has a neutral attitude. He doesn't say much. He is always more scared than Francesa when we open the cage....she is always more daring.
I have read a few things about cere colors but we're so confused. We don't know if both are actually female now, or if we have them reversed in gender? We named him Elvis, but now we're not so sure. Budgie experts out there, please help us put this subject to rest.

Bird Green Vertebrate Beak Parrot

·
Super Moderator
5,436 Posts
The yellow and green bird is a female, it it was a male the cere would be dark blue by now. The blue bird also appears to be female, I cannot really see the cere color too well but on my computer it appears to be brownish, is that the way it is in person, if so the bird is definitely a female, the cere will turn brownish as the hormones rage. I would remove the coconut in the cage, this type of thing tends to trigger hormonal behavior which can result in aggression. What are you feeding the birds, they both appear to be a bit heavy.

·
Administrator
59,209 Posts
Cody has given you excellent information with regard to removing the coconut hut. Although sold by many pet stores, those are never recommended by this forum, for the reasons given.

It's very fortunate you have two females.
Breeding is not something that should be entered into without extensive knowledge and experience regarding budgies and the best practices with regard to their care. Domestic budgies are much healthier and happier when they are never bred.
Too many people buy a mixed gender pair without knowing even the basics of budgie care.

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being
Locating an Avian Veterinarian

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Additionally, please be sure to read the thread "Posting on the Forums" which is linked below.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory