Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After moving to Australia with me from Oregon 4.5 years ago - 3 different Visas and almost getting deported twice, the struggle is finally over for my wonderful husband :D

Sorry for the bad quality copy, couldn't be bothered dragging the scanner out

This is a huge surprise because we were told it was going to be up to another 6 months but there it is!

It's SOOOO cute because he's picked up all this aussie lingo from his co-workers and drops aussie words into daily conversations. I'm so proud of him and so happy he's here to stay.

He's so excited because he can do whatever he wants now, go back to school and work on his goals. After 5 years of putting his life on hold just to be here with me, I can't wait to see him become the person he wants to be.

THIS IS SUCH GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :aus:

·
Member of the Month
891 Posts
Massive congratulations to you both! Such exciting news :D

I remember when I got my permanent residence here in the UK. At the time I was still married but was already in a deep plot to get away from my ex husband. I applied secretly, on my own merit, as I'd come to the UK on an ancestral visa. Getting that permanent residence was the last thing I needed to get out of a very very bad marriage.

It came in the post. I opened it and my adrenaline started pumping. I ran upstairs and said to my ex 'look I've been granted permanent residence'. He shrugged. I said 'ya, and that means this house is mine now and I don't need you to survive anymore. So pack your sh!t and get out.'

Best day of my life :laughing:

·
Registered
161 Posts

I remember when I got my permanent residence here in the UK. At the time I was still married but was already in a deep plot to get away from my ex husband. I applied secretly, on my own merit, as I'd come to the UK on an ancestral visa. Getting that permanent residence was the last thing I needed to get out of a very very bad marriage.

It came in the post. I opened it and my adrenaline started pumping. I ran upstairs and said to my ex 'look I've been granted permanent residence'. He shrugged. I said 'ya, and that means this house is mine now and I don't need you to survive anymore. So pack your sh!t and get out.'

Woo hoo NumNum you go girl! :D

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,823 Posts
That's awesome, congratulations to you and your husband!!! :party::woot:

·
Member of the Month
891 Posts
Oh I went alright! I'd spoken to the landlord about taking over the house, I'd filed for papers to be served to remove him - he didn't go peacefully, he made a mess of me before he went - and it all hinged on that one little stamp in my passport. Even when I think about it now it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside lol

I suppose I could've gone back to Canada but I love England with every fibre of my soul and leaving would have been worse than what I went through to get away. I've never regretted it for a second.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much everyone!! :mixed-smiley-009:

Dang, that would have been so satisfying! Way to take your life back :)

I was stuck in a bad marriage for 10 miserable years, from only 18 years old. I had my permanent residency but I would have liked for them to deport me! LOL My problem was that my 2 kids were American citizens and without my ex's permission I couldn't take them back to Australia, not even for a visit. So we were stuck for a long time. It wasn't until I met Stephen that he convinced my ex to just let us go and be happy. Miraculously it worked, I left and Stephen followed and now here we are :D I miss the US sometimes but honestly, I would have moved to Antarctica if it meant getting away from my ex.

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,908 Posts
Congratulations to you and Stephen Allie.

I remember the fun and games we had getting my stepmother out here. It took us another 12 months to get her children here too. That was over 30 years ago now.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congratulations to you and Stephen Allie.

I remember the fun and games we had getting my stepmother out here. It took us another 12 months to get her children here too. That was over 30 years ago now.
Thank you Kate! Where did your Step mother come from? My Grandmother brought my mother and uncle over here back in the late 60s from America so we have a long family tradition of going back and forth. My 2 oldest are dual citizens and my 2 youngest qualify so hopefully they'll never have to go through the stress of immigrating!

·
Member of the Month
891 Posts
Thanks so much everyone!! :mixed-smiley-009:

Dang, that would have been so satisfying! Way to take your life back :)

I was stuck in a bad marriage for 10 miserable years, from only 18 years old. I had my permanent residency but I would have liked for them to deport me! LOL My problem was that my 2 kids were American citizens and without my ex's permission I couldn't take them back to Australia, not even for a visit. So we were stuck for a long time. It wasn't until I met Stephen that he convinced my ex to just let us go and be happy. Miraculously it worked, I left and Stephen followed and now here we are :D I miss the US sometimes but honestly, I would have moved to Antarctica if it meant getting away from my ex.
Well we've got a few things in common haven't we? lol All my kids were born here, so there was no way I'd have been able to take them home anyway. Not that I wanted to leave the UK. But even if I did, it would've been impossible. But never mind, whatever does you kill you, as they say. All the strife builds character I reckon.

There is nothing so looming as the feeling of trepidation that comes from waiting for an immigration decision. I'm so pleased for you guys that everything is sorted and happiness now reigns supreme :D

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,908 Posts
She came from the Phillipines Allie. Dad had tried to bring her out on a fiance visa, but that was refused. He had met her over there the year before through her brother. He had to reside over there for 2 months before they could marry and he then had to leave and it took another 2 months to get her to Australia. It was a true love match. Tessie absolutely adores my father. Tessie had been left a widow at a fairly young age. My parents had been divorced for many years and my mother had a new partner. Tessie and I are like best friends, she is a great person. She and I used to have great fun with people when I would introduce her as my mother and see the look on their faces. My mother and Tessie also became friends, Tessie is the sort of person that you could not dislike, she is so nice. Dads friends were worried that she was marrying him just to get to Australia, but they soon changed their minds about that when they met her.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well we've got a few things in common haven't we? lol All my kids were born here, so there was no way I'd have been able to take them home anyway. Not that I wanted to leave the UK. But even if I did, it would've been impossible. But never mind, whatever does you kill you, as they say. All the strife builds character I reckon.

There is nothing so looming as the feeling of trepidation that comes from waiting for an immigration decision. I'm so pleased for you guys that everything is sorted and happiness now reigns supreme :D
You know it's funny, after all that, we did the legal thing and he gave me an official letter stating he gave his permission for the kids to travel outside the US. NO ONE CHECKED IT. Just this year, for the first time my ex took my 2 oldest back to the states for Christmas, he'd lost his court order papers and was nervous about what would happen on the way out of the country and no one questioned him either! All those years I probably could have just left and no one would have stopped me but oh well.

I agree on the character building. It makes you a kinder, better, more tolerant person to have been through something like that. I'm glad it all worked out for the both of us :D

She came from the Phillipines Allie. Dad had tried to bring her out on a fiance visa, but that was refused. He had met her over there the year before through her brother. He had to reside over there for 2 months before they could marry and he then had to leave and it took another 2 months to get her to Australia. It was a true love match. Tessie absolutely adores my father. Tessie had been left a widow at a fairly young age. My parents had been divorced for many years and my mother had a new partner. Tessie and I are like best friends, she is a great person. She and I used to have great fun with people when I would introduce her as my mother and see the look on their faces. My mother and Tessie also became friends, Tessie is the sort of person that you could not dislike, she is so nice. Dads friends were worried that she was marrying him just to get to Australia, but they soon changed their minds about that when they met her.
Wow, a rejected fiancé visa? I've never heard of that happening before! But you know what they say, nothing is worth having if it comes easily. Sometimes you have to take that approach when it comes to immigration, especially between couples. I'm really glad your step mother eventually made it here, she sounds like a wonderful person!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
That's great news. Congratulations! :woot:

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thankyou very much!

It's a bad time of year to be looking for an apprenticeship but now that he can do whatever he wants he's overwhelmed with options. This morning he was talking about becoming a butcher, yesterday a refrigerator repairman ^.^ I'm just glad he's excited about all the possibilities

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.