Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on another forum I posted a picture of Topaz and explained she was both Dominant pied and Recessive pied both visually She has absolutely no iris rings, I put her with a Recessive pied (Before I knew she was one I thought she was just a Double Factor pied for a long time) and got both Dominant pied, Recessive pied and BOTH dominant and Recessive pied visually on the same baby

Now i am being told A budgie can NOT be both Dominant and Recessive pied visually

and I've always thought they could, i've read many times they could and I've read they can be all 3 Pieds (dominant, Recessive and Clear Flight) at the same time

So what is she if she has NO iris rings?

Topaz

Her Parents :
Tweety - male - Dominant Pied Split to grey wing and Recessive pied
Casper - Female- Albino Masking Opaline, Dominant pied and either masking or Split to Recessive pied & Grey wing

·
Registered
815 Posts
My girl is also a recessive and dominant pied, and she looks just like yours.
They can't be visually both? Please explain this?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My girl is also a recessive and dominant pied, and she looks just like yours.
They can't be visually both? Please explain this?
that's what I'm trying to figure out
I've read many times and been told several times they certainly can be both visually - thats why i'm confused

·
Registered
815 Posts
I will be watching this threat for an expert to come in and explain this, I do believe that they can be visually both, but I don't mind learning something new either way.

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Who said she cant be both?? I thought it was possible and I thought for sure I have heard Nev and Tonic say different birds were... if not I was mis informed too.

She could be just split recessive pied and not have the iris rings though, I have many like this that are not visually any type of pied, but being split recessive to it can make them loose the iris ring too:)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Whoever told you that they couldn't be more than one pied type at the same time obviously doesn't know what they're talking about.

A lot of birds that are both dominant and recessive pied are incorrectly identified as double factor dominant pied

Budgies can be all three types of pied at the same time but they would just look like a dark eyed clear so you wouldn't be able to tell without breeding

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you

I thought they could be more than 1 pied at a time and I'm glad to see she still is :)

Lindsey its on another forum

she could be split - the out come is different if she is split, but she's only had 3 babies so far so Can't really tell by that.
but for now until I learn differently she's visually both

oh and I had 1 Normal non pied female that never had Iris rings but at the time I didn't have a Rec. pied and never thought to keep her babies I wasn't planning on having any recessive pieds since its so hard to sex them and tell their age But I inherited the male I have after I sold the female with no iris rings So I don't know if she was actually split or not

but I do have a Dominant pied Sister to the one pictured above only from a different clutch, That is almost 2 and has the shade of iris rings of a 8 month old When you look at her in person you don't see them at all but I caught them in one pic I took of her a few weeks ago and they're very light brownish, Waiting to see if they ever go white (light) if not then Maybe she's split to Rec. pied (she has a chance of being split) and that may explain her iris not lightening up . or if it does then she's just slow lol

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have know Idea about Genetics been solicting advice for my new clutch...but what ever she is she's a beautiful budgie :)

I'm pretty good at genetics and was fairly certain I had my main Budgies down to a T of what they are and Split to, since They're either babies from the last 2 years or Adults I've bred a few times with different mates :)

but mine will be starting over again here in a few weeks I just got 4-5 new females One is a recessive pied and I'm not 100% sure its a girl It looked like a girl when I bought it but not so much after I got it home but at times it looks like a girl at times it looks like a boy So only time will tell

but I'm putting the new females with Previous bred males that I know their genetics So I can see what the new females are hiding and or Split to (hiding for the Albino and creamino) :D

·
Registered
815 Posts
That's what I figured as well. Thankyou for the clarification everyone, your expert knowledge on this forum is invaluable.
Karma for all. =)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.