Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last 2 clutches I got quite interesting and beautiful babies - well that's to me. This 1 is especially interesting. Can someone please give a full description of this bird?
The mother is an Opaline violet/dilute. (1 of the babies is a diute; confirmed by Nev.)
The father is 1 of 3: (i) GF FB Violet Greywing/clearwing ino
(jj) Green RP/blue ino
(iii) Light Green Opaline
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and knowledge. I hope that I can be of help for someone one of these days, but there's so much to learn.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
I don't know about the mutation, but it an amazing looking bird!! I hope you're keeping it!! :) (otherwise I will be flying to South Africa to do some budgie napping :giggle: )

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YES I'm keeping him (I think it'is a male). You are welcome to come and visit, but beware of my cat - he's protecting the avairy!!

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
YES I'm keeping him (I think it'is a male). You are welcome to come and visit, but beware of my cat - he's protecting the avairy!!
A cat protecting an aviary?? That sounds like a dog "protecting" a plate of steaks :giggle: I'll just slip him some cat nip and sneak past :cool:

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Even though I have had so many bub babies - the science of mutations still go over my head at times and I am never suprised. Even with 'paired' pairs I am blown away which for me makes it extremely difficult when colony breeding to guess the outcomes or the parentage (presuming colony as 3 potential fathers)

Your bub looks like an opaline clearwing - unsure on colour from the pic or pied relevance - hopefully someone with the science will respond :)

A little cutie whoever the daddy (though may need Jerry Springer with his DNA test to determine which one :giggle: - or an expert unlike me :eek:)

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I'm guessing yellow face I opaline greywing recessive pied cobalt ... if there is such a mutation. :p

Nev? Tonic?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
You're right Susan - T2 yellow face opaline greywing recessive pied cobalt

·
Registered
110 Posts
GORGEOUS bird!:loveeyes: I love budgies when they have these kinds of colours. You are so, so, very lucky!

Sorry I can't help with the mutation. Just HAD to tell you how beautiful he is. :) Hang onto this one.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I'm guessing yellow face I opaline greywing recessive pied cobalt ... if there is such a mutation. :p

Nev? Tonic?
You're right Susan - T2 yellow face opaline greywing recessive pied cobalt
I got the YF type wrong -- I thought he was YF1 with suffusion -- but I'm relieved the other mutations were correct. I assume the YF2 will become more apparent at first molt. :)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again Nev. Susan, you almost got it right. To determine the father would be impossible or do anyone want to take a chance. My best guess will be the GF FB Greywing violet. He is the product of a golden face and a YF 2 so there is the YF2 gene. My only problem is the opaline, but he could be a /opaline.
Thanks to everyone who thinks he is cute - and yes, I'm going to keep him.
I'm going to rest the hen for now and later I'm going to do cage breeding with these 2 to see what I'm going to get then.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is this a Full bodied greywing or just a normal greywing where the body colour is "diluted"? Also the bird is not going to develope iris rings because he's a RP; is that correct?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your bub looks like an opaline clearwing - unsure on colour from the pic or pied relevance - hopefully someone with the science will respond :)

Do you see why I need info on clearwings? I also thought it could be a clearwing, but if Nev ans Susan say it's a greywing it's a greywing. They are brilliant with the identification of mutations. I would like to get an explanation why it is a greywing and not a clearwing - what is the difference?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.