Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

I am very happy to be a member in this forum, I just knew it 3 days ago, and it added a lot of information to me regarding the budgies....

Well,
I have 2 pairs and they have started to lay eggs (it seems they are competing:D)

This is the hen of the first pair.

This is the cook.

==============
==============

I could not get a picture of the hen for the second pair, but its color is exactly like the first hen above.

This is the cook for the second pair.

============

Both of the hens are sisters, and the color of the parents is exactly same as first hen above.

regards,

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Forum! Your birds are gorgeous!!!
Thank you robin:D

After spending the last 3 days reading in the forum, I decided to make major changes to the cages I have for the budgie, friday is the big day for them....

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
They are beautiful birds and should produce some very beautiful chicks.

First pair:
I can’t see enough of the hen to see if she has clear flight feathers or not, but it would make quite a difference to the result. From what I can see she is a light green opaline spangle. The **** is a dark green dominant pied

If the **** bird is not split for opaline you would get about 25% each of dominant pied, spangle, normal & combination dominant pied spangle. The chicks would be all green series unless both birds are split for blue. If they are both split for blue you’d expect about 25% blue series. Opaline will only appear in the chicks if the **** bird has an opaline gene

Second pair:
Sky blue opaline dominant pied **** to light green opaline spangle hen (assuming the hen is not also dominant pied)

Expected chicks: Opaline spangle, Dominant pied opaline spangle, Opaline Dominant pied & just opaline. If the hen is split for blue you’d get half each of blue and green series, if she is not split for blue then the chicks will be all green series.

It is possible that the birds are carrying genes for other mutations that could affect the result

·
Registered
236 Posts
very cute birds!!.. and they should give gorgeous babies!!...

welcome and glad you´ve been iking it here... you really learn a lot

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nev90

Thank you very much, really appreciated!
I think I will get alot of colors this time :rolleyes:

If this would help, another picture of the hen, showing the wing color,

And I dont think the hens are split for blue, cause the parent color was exactly same as the hens, the parents gave 4 hens with all same color.

===
huskymom
Chimpsrule

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
It looks like the hen is opaline cinnamon and not opaline spangle. Cinnamon is a sex-linked mutation and it will only effect the chick's colour if the **** birds have a cinnamon gene. If the hens are not spangle you'll need to take spangle out of my predictions.

Your second **** bird looks very young or is that an old picture?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I am little confused...

So what are the end results now ?

and yep this an old picture for the second ****.

·
~Crazy Bird Lady~
2,309 Posts
First pair:
The hen is a light Green Cinnamon Opaline. The **** is a Green dominant pied.

You would get 50% Dominant Pieds and 50% Normal. Male chicks will be split for Opaline and Cinnamon, and all should be green series.

Second pair:
Sky Blue Opaline Dominant Pied **** to Light Green Cinnamon Opaline hen.

Again, 50% Dominant Pied and 50% normal. All Chicks will be Opaline and males will be split for Cinnamon. They will all be green series split for blue.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
before 2 weeks, two eggs of the first pair has hatched

I will soon show you the color of the 2 babies, I am really happy :D
still cannot take any photo of them, their mother wont let me :p
as soon as they get out of thier home :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.