Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My budgie Harley is a recessive pied with an unusual coloration. After I got him, I learned that he is a harlequin pied, also known as a Danish pied. But what does that mean about his genetics?

His base color is both yellow and white, in splotches. His flight feathers are a clear white. He has a yellow face that's deeper in color than the rest of his body, and he has a few sea-foam green feathers on his upper tail and in a few places on his breast-- both suggest a Type II yellowface. His breast has a mix of yellow, white, and bright blue, although his rump is mostly a dark, almost dirty, blue. When he lifts his wings, the feathers there look like a light gray-violet.

I'm not planning to breed him. I'm just curious.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He wouldn't be your dream bird if you had to train him! He was older than I was told when I got him and skittish to boot. Still, I wouldn't trade him.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Gorgeous! His mask is very deep yellow; he may be a golden face. If you were to breed him, he'd pass the yf or gf (whichever it is) on to ~50% of the babies. He looks to me to be cobalt (one dark factor). He is blue, so he can only make blue babies, no green. And recessive pied is just that - recessive. You will only get more like him by breeding to a bird that is also recessive pied or split to recessive pied.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Harlequin & Danish pied are just different names for recessive pieds

Your bird looks like a type two yellow face recessive pied cobalt

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why is the blue on his rump so much darker than the blue on his belly? I thought dark factors covered the whole bird.

How can you tell the difference between a golden face and a yellow face?

Thanks, Nev, for straightening out the terminology for Harlequin pied as just another name for recessive pied. I thought Harlequin meant that the bird has both white and yellow underfeathers instead of one or the other.

I figure that all the yellow on him comes from a Type II yellowface in his genes since the yellow would typically wash into the body after the first molt. Of course, it didn't do that on his belly which maintains a more Type I bright blue.

Although I'd love to see what kind of babies he would have, I don't plan on breeding him. I don't have the expertise to do that.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just compared older and the most recent photos. He doesn't have as much white on him now (he's going through a molt), so it's possible that his blue belly will turn that seafoam blue-green.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hehe, it's already been answered.

I just want to add that the color on the rump tends to be darker and more vivid than the color on the belly. I've seen this with just about every budgie I've had.

I don't know 100% what the difference is between YellowFace and GoldenFace is. But I've read that Golden face is just a much brighter and deeper yellow than YF.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Reese! He's probably a golden face then since his mask is a deep yellow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.