Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Well, though I'm a long-time and dedicated budgie owner, and normally breed a clutch or two yearly, I have never quite gotten the grasp of mutations and genetics. I guess the colours don't matter as much to me so I haven't put in all the effort to learn, I don't breed to sell and I don't really mind what my budgies look like, as long as they are healthy and happy.

Anyway, I've been getting more curious about mutations and genetics, and I'd at least like to know what my budgies are. I'm having real trouble working it out for myself, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out? I'll post pictures of all 15 of my birds, but I don't mind if you just tell me what one or two of them are, I don't expect you to spend ages working out and writing out all my budgies' mutations. Anything is appreciated.

I'll just place in the links to pictures the birds names, as some have multiple birds. There are 15 altogether:
Sky, Budgie, Nibbles, Tweety, Pebbles, Pocket, Pickles, Nippy, Bluebird, Bambam, Pete, 'the Twins' (they're VERY similar in appearance and would be the same mutation, I only have pics of one of them) and my show/English budgies Kendra and Doyle.

I'll post a lot of pictures so you can have further reference if you aren't sure. ;D I'll just give urls so it isn't too picture heavy. Thanks!

Also wondering about what mutations I can expect from offspring of Sky & Pete? It looks like they will be having a clutch soon. If it helps at all, I know that Sky's mother was an albino and I THINK her father was a grey of some kind. Also, she and Budgie are the parents of Nibbles, Tweety, Pebbles, Pocket and Pickles. Anyway, Sky and Pete will be in the first few pics so you can get an idea.

And guess what? This is the first time I have been able to post pictures of my budgies on here! My internet has never allowed me to upload pictures anywhere, but that's recently been fixed. Guess I'll have to post these in the pictures board too! ;D

Sky

Sky

Sky & Pete

Sky & Pete

Pete & Sky

Pete

Pete

Budgie

Budgie & Pebbles

Budgie & Pebbles

Pebbles & Budgie

Pebbles

Pebbles & Tweety

Tweety

Tweety

Tweety

Nibbles & Tweety

Nibbles

Nibbles

Nibbles

Pocket

Pocket

Pocket

Pocket & Twin

Pocket & Nippy

Twin

Pickles

Pickles

Pickles

Nippy, Bluebird, Twin

Twin, Nippy, Pocket

Nippy

Bluebird

Bluebird

Kendra

Kendra

Kendra

Doyle

Doyle

Sorry, I went a bit overboard with the pictures, just excited about sharing my budgies for the first time with you all! :D

·
Member of the Month September 2011
7,747 Posts
Note= I am probaly wrong, fairly new to mutations myself so I will give it a go

Doyle= dark factor blue cobalt

Kendra = dominant pied opaline

Bluebird= Sky blue opaline

Nippy= yellow face type two normal green opaline

Pickle= yellow face type two olive green cinnamon or yellow face type two grey-green budgie

Twin= dark eyed lutino

Pocket= yellow face type two grey-green budgie or yellow face type two olive green cinnamon

Nibble = sky blue clearwing

Tweety = yellow face two dominant pied clearwing?

Pebbles = sky blue greywing

Budgie= yellow face type two olive green cinnamon

Pete= grey spangle

sky= sky blue budgie greywing

I gave it my best shot, hope they are right. I am not the best person to do this.
For more this link will help :)

http://www.***************/colorsguide.html

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Hi there. I'm no expert. :) If Tweety has red eyes, he is a lutino. If his eyes are a dark plum with no iris ring, he's a dark eyed clear. If he has dark eyes with an iris ring, he is a double factor spangle. Bluebird is opaline and cinnamon, and I think sky blue but I've learned with my own blue birds that sometimes it's hard to tell how dark their blue is in pics. Same thing with Nibbles. I'd guess cobalt clearwing, but may be a sky blue. On the other birds, I only have bits and pieces and just wouldn't feel right telling you tidbits. I'm sure someone will come along and fill you in properly soon.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
ok, here i go...

sky - mauve spangle opaline dilute
pete - grey normal greywing

from these two, if i am correct, you will get greys and maybe blues. spangles, normals and greywings and some a combination of these. depending on what other genes they aer split for you may also get opalines or dilutes.

budgie - olive spangle/opaline
pebbles - mauve spangle opaline, but i am finding it tricky to pick the body colour
tweety - olive double factor spangle
nibbles - mauve... something! probably a very pale spangle but...
pocket - olive spangle
pickles - olive spangle opaline

twins - green double factor spangle
Nippy - dark green normal
bluebird - violet spangle opaline
kendra - light green cinnamon dominant pied
doyle - grey normal

bambam seems to be missing?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys, I really appreciate the replies! :D Not sure as some of the mutations listed were conflicting. Should I get more pictures? :/ Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks again!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Sky: Cinnamon opaline spangle (maybe violet)

Pete: Greywing grey

Sky & Pete would produce blue & grey normals & spangles. You will only get cinnamon, opaline or greywing if the other partner has the gene

Budgie: Spangle olive male

Pebbles: Opaline spangle grey or violet grey male

Tweety: Green series double factor spangle

Other bird with Tweety: Green series double factor spangle

Other bird & Tweety would produce all double factor spangle chicks. If they are both split for blue a few chicks could be white

Nibbles: Clearwing cobalt

Pocket: Dark green spangle

Twin: Green series double factor spangle

Nippy: (Light?) green normal

Pickles: Opaline spangle olive

Bluebird: Cinnamon opaline violet

Kendra: Light green cinnamon dominant pied

Doyle: Normal Grey (probably over sky blue)

Couldn’t follow which ones you wanted offspring predictions for

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks very much Nev! Appreciated. I was just after Sky/Pete.

Though, now, if anyone could give me offspring predictions for Pete any of the following that would be great:

Nibbles
Bluebird
Pocket
Twins

Nibbles and Pocket are both the offspring of Sky & Budgie, and Bluebird and the Twins are Pickles and a now deceased lutino's chicks.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hi nev, a couple of thoughts,

Sky: Cinnamon opaline spangle (maybe violet)

Budgie: Spangle olive male

Pebbles: Opaline spangle grey or violet grey male
pebbles parents are sky - blue and budgie - olive, so i thought mauve rather than grey?

another chick from sky and budgie... hard totell but she does look clearwing.. but what about the silver in the cheek patches?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Amberlea! Yep, figured he's would be pretty reliable!

Thanks for your input Tonic, I appreciate it. :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
hi nev, a couple of thoughts,

pebbles parents are sky - blue and budgie - olive, so i thought mauve rather than grey?
You are probably right. I didn't read the notes properly. Sky & Budgie couldn't have a grey chick
another chick from sky and budgie... hard totell but she does look clearwing.. but what about the silver in the cheek patches?
The other thing that worried me is the frosting on the rump, which is also a spangle characteristic, but her markings are not spangle. I still think she looks like a clearwing. It would be interesting to see what kind of chicks she produces

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, thanks, mauve then!

Hm, okay, strange... Well, I don't know whether I'lll be able to find out after she, Bluebird and Bambam flew away yesterday. Very upsetting, but I'm really hoping they'll come back to the cals from the aviary, and I will be putting notices up tomorrow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.